Chapter Two

Surprise update cause I'm bored and impatient. Hooray!
——————

Dawn closed her eyes and happily breathed in the crisp autumn air. The sky was a dark gray blanket and hard to see through. Small white pieces of frozen water fell slowly to the ground, covering the ground in a thin layer of snow. The lake she was at with her Pokémon and the Professor already had a small layer of ice built up around the edges.

"Piplup?" A small blue penguin tapped Dawn's left leg. He had a light blue body made of slick contour feathers. Softer contour and plumule feathers, a darker blue in color, surrounded his head and lined around his neck. Fluffy white down feathers covered his face, made up of a small yellow beak and tiny black eyes. He had two yellow feet and small light blue flippers.

"Piplup!" he repeated, louder and more demanding.

Dawn opened her eyes and glanced down at him. His face was a mix of fear, worry, and confusion. Dawn laughed quietly to herself. "Don't worry, Piplup." She picked up the small blue penguin into her arms. She held him close to her and leaned her head over him in an effort to block the snow from falling onto him. Even still, a few icy particles landed onto the Pokémon. Piplup closed his eyes, annoyed for still having snow on him, but also grateful for his Trainer's compassion— even if he didn't want to admit it.

"Dawn, I really hope you're actually doing your work instead of playing with your Pokémon," a gruff, old voice spoke, full of responsibility and wisdom.

"Yes, Professor Rowan." Dawn turned and looked at the Sinnoh Pokémon Professor. He was crouching at the edge of the lake with a small notepad and pencil in his hands. Occasionally he would tap the ice on the edge of the lake or look at the Pokémon in the lake before writing something down in his notepad.

Professor Rowan was a tall man, standing at a height of 6' 1". He had white hair that flowed upwards, as well as a white mustache. He had bluish-gray eyes and pale skin. He had a tough-looking face with very few wrinkles, despite his age. Dawn was one of the few who had actually seen him when he wasn't so stern; he was very kind and gentle when he wanted to be. He had on a blue shirt and black pants, with a pair of brown shoes. A dark brown coat was draped over him, extending down to his knees. Often Dawn wondered why he was always dressed in neat attire, especially when they were outside with Pokémon most of the time. When she asked, he had replied with a simple "you never know when you need to look your best."

The Professor looked up from his writing and met Dawn's gaze for a second before returning to his task. "There are many Pokémon here; try seeing if you are able to catch one so we can collect more data on it."

"Of course!"

Dawn herself was a young girl full of endless energy. She was seventeen years old, turning eighteen come April. She had neat, dark blue hair, ending at her back. It was always brushed evenly, never a strand out of place. Two long strands from the back of her head were pulled up to the front and held in place by two pink hair clips above her ears. It was a unique style that only Dawn could pull off. Her face was soft and actually had a bit of color compared to other Sinnoh natives, but that was most likely due to the cold temperatures around her. She had gentle eyes, the same dark color as her hair. She had on a red coat, which cut off mid-thigh— as if it was a sort of dress. Pink buttons lined in pairs ran up the center, ending at a white scarf wrapped around the girl's neck. She had a white beanie with a pink Poké Ball pattern on her head and long white socks. Her pink shoes completed the outfit. Normally she had a pretty white duffel bag around her right shoulder, with everything she needed inside, but that was currently sitting on the ground beside her.

The blue-haired girl stayed still for a moment longer before setting her Piplup back down onto the ground, ignoring his chirps of protest and discomfort. She reached down and pulled out a small, pink device from her bag. It was mostly rectangular-shaped and had a tiny button along the side of it. Dawn pressed that button and the device opened itself up, almost like a book. She pressed another button and a circular-shaped piece came out from the side, but was still connected to the rest of the device.