Chapter 1

I wake to the sound of Angelica's laughter echoing through the hall.

God that has to be the best sound to wake up to.

Smiling I opened my eyes only to quickly shut them again at the harsh light that filtered into my bedroom. Why did I forget to close the blinds again!

Turning away from the windows I open my eyes once more, the pain a little more bearable this time. Checking the clock on my nightstand it's 8:30 shit I have class in an hour. I go to jump out of bed and the next thing I know my face meets the floor.

Ouch! Why does the floor have to hurt so much? Turning slightly I look at my feet to see them tangled up in the bedsheets. Kicking them away I finally stood and rushed to the bathroom as quickly as I could.

After the world's fastest shower I walk into my wardrobe. Looking through all of my clothes I finally settle on a pair of black skinny jeans, red spaghetti strap top and leather jacket. Picking a black lace set I slip them on before pulling on my jeans and top. Tucking my top into my jeans I lay my jacket on my bed and walk across the hall into Angelica's bedroom. I see the mini me wiggling around in her cot smiling and giggling at the animal mobile that hangs above her. She had my jet black hair and crystal blue eyes. When she sees me she lets out a loud "mama!" while reaching her arms up to me.

Walking over to her I pick her up in my arms pressing my lips to her forehead. "Morning baby, did you sleep well. I'm sure you did because you let mommy sleep all night" I cooed at her while laying her down on her floral changing table. After changing her nappy I pick her up once more and grab an outfit out of her wardrobe. Picking out her short black dungarees with a red cotton t-shirt, white socks with a lace trim and her cute little red converse. I take her back to my room. Looking at the time, I see that I still have 45 minutes to get to class. Sitting on my bed I lay Angelica in my arms before pulling down my top and bra to give her her morning feed.

When she's done feeding I quickly rearrange my clothes before getting my baby dressed for the day. " Awe who looks like a little princess" I say to her before raising her into the air and blowing on her tummy, smiling as her giggles fill the air. She's always such a happy baby.

I lay her down on my bed and place pillows around her so she wouldn't roll off and hurt herself. I walk back into my wardrobe tying my hair into a high ponytail as I go. Deciding to wear my black converse I pick them off of the shelf before getting a pair of black ankle socks.

Once everything was done I picked up my bag and placed my jacket inside.
Scooping Angelica back into my arm while placing my bag over my shoulder I head down stairs. Dawn should be here any minute to look after her for the day.

Dawn was a nice lady in her mid forties, her and her husband, Alfey, had tried to have kids of their own but Dawn found out that she wasn't fertile, they both saw Angelica as their own and were amazing with her. Both looked after her whenever I needed without any complaints. Hell they even stayed over for a week when Angelica had a fever of 90°c and I was struggling to look after her on my own, we had both been pretty ill that week. I really don't know what I would do without them sometimes.

Placing my bag on the sofa I lay Angelica down in her playpen, switching on one of her toys the nursery rhymes capturing her attention. Laughing at the expression on her face I leaned down and kissed her head before going into the kitchen to make my breakfast and use the breast pump real quick to make sure that Angelica had plenty of bottles in the fridge, she was only 8 months old so I had already started to give her solid food but she still loved a bottle a couple of times a day, so I made sure to only give her one during meal times as well as solid food so she can get used to it.

Opening the fridge I pull out a smoothie along with the roasted butternut squash I made last night for her breakfast to save time this morning. I could take the smoothie with me and drink it on the way to uni, giving me enough time this morning to puree half of the squash and mix in the rest for Angelica's lunch just to make it easier for her to eat.

Just as I had placed the blades for the blender in the dishwasher the doorbell rang. As if she knew what it meant Angelica let out an adorable little squeal before giggling loudly. Smiling once more at the endearing noise I walked over to the door making a funny face at Angelica as I walk past her and open the door, the familiar brown eyes greet me "Hey Dawn"  I greet her as I move aside letting her in "morning love, did you sleep well" her soft melodic voice filled my ear as she gave me a hug. Just as I'm about to close the door Alfey walks in "morning sweetheart" he greets me as he places a kiss on my forehead "hey Alfey, I didn't know you would be coming over as well today". Walking into the living room to watch as Dawn plays with Angelica "yeah I had a day off and figured I would spend it with that little monster" his vice was gruff as if he had just woken up "that's good you have been working so hard lately" it was true he owned a line of hotels in california and was constantly working and hardly took any time off. Looking down at my watch, I see that it's time for me to leave.

"Right I have to get going, she has bottles and lunch in the fridge, you guys can help yourself to anything in the kitchen, oh and the bottle warmer is broken so you will have to heat up her bottles in my microwave for today and her breakfast is on the side ready to go" I tell them both as I grab my smoothie off the kitchen counter along with my keys and phone before giving my baby a kiss "mommy will see you later, behave. I love you my angel" Kissing her check once more I take my bag off the sofa bidding goodbye to Dawn and Alfey before leaving voicing their own goodbyes as I close the door.

Jumping into my car I place my bag on the passenger seat and my smoothie in the console before driving to uni.

I think it's time I introduced myself, my name is Rose Michaels and I'm a 20 year old student and single mother from Venice, California.