Five: amusement park

Analia

"What should I wear?" I ask Melanie, holding up two different dress options. One has polka dots and the other is floral print.

Melanie laughs. "You're not going to wear a dress. Especially not one of those. This isn't a youth group church party." She gets up from the floor and marches into my closet.

She rifles through my closet, sighing when she's found nothing that meets her standards. "We really need to get you a new wardrobe. But this will have to do," she says, pushing a pile of clothes and accessories into my hand.

I quickly get changed in the bathroom, admiring my reflection. Perfect. White cami and a denim skirt, complete with white low tops and silver stud earrings. It's simple, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I smile nervously, pulling my hair up into a bun. I rarely go to parties, but when I do, they're dinner parties or church parties. Hell, the only alcohol I'd ever had was communion wine.

I clutch my chest as the door suddenly opens, startling me. Sighing, I roll my eyes and fix my shirt. "You scared me."

"I don't know why you want to go to this party anyway," Melanie says, ignoring what I said. "You don't drink, you don't smoke, and you don't know these people. And you know I don't like Birdie."

I knew she'd say that. Melanie and Birdie used to be friends, but after junior year, they hated each other's guts. Whenever I asked Melanie what happened between them, she'd just say Birdie was a bitch.

Melanie is wearing a LBD that's barely long enough to cover her butt and the tallest stilettos I've ever seen. Someone's on a mission tonight. "You could break your neck in those."

She shrugs, applying a thick layer of shiny lipgloss. "You're the one dragging me to this party. I'm at least going to look hot. Now, why do you want to go again?"

"I don't know, I think it'll be fun," I answer, toying with my earrings. "I never really get out of the house anymore."

She looks at me, her arms folded across her chest. "We've been friends since elementary school. You've never once wanted to go to a party. I've invited you to dozens and you always say parties aren't your thing."

I sit down on the edge of the bathtub, closing my eyes. "Well, I want to try something new. Who knows, maybe I'll have a good time." I do think it'll be fun. But really, anything to get me out of the house. I can't stand being here knowing she's gone.

Mom would've wanted me to go. She always encouraged me to live life to the fullest, to have fun while I'm still young.

Melanie sits down beside me, pulling my head to her shoulder. She knows I'm not telling her the whole truth, but she doesn't push me and I'm grateful for that. Despite our differences, I'm so lucky to have her.

"Okay. Well, I'm going to make sure you have the time of your life tonight. Now let's get out of here."

Lexie

"I still can't believe you invited her. You know I fucking hate Melanie," Birdie grumbles, hours later. "I was so glad when I graduated because I was sure I'd never have to see her again. Two weeks later, you invite her to our party."

It's not our party and we didn't need to invite her, it's an open invitation at an Airbnb. But now isn't the time to remind her of that. I can't help but almost feel a tinge of regret as Birdie complains incessantly. Almost. I'm still glad I invited Analia. I catch myself daydreaming about her body pressed against mine.

Birdie scoffs, trying on different bottoms to find the perfect match for her black mesh top. She contemplates between a black leather skirt or skinny jeans.

"Go with the black leather. And technically, I didn't even invite Melanie. Just Analia. Maybe Melanie won't even show up."

She glances at me, clearly annoyed. "They're best friends. Why wouldn't she invite her? You and I go everywhere together."

I'm not exactly thrilled about seeing Melanie again either. But I'm willing to tolerate her presence if it means I get to see Analia.

"Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Melanie. But can you put up with her crap for one night? I'll buy you lunch for a week," I offer, desperate for her to let this go.

"Deal."

Tyler plops down next to Birdie on the couch, draping his arm over her shoulders. "What's this I hear about a new girl? Finally calling it quits with Sarah?"

I roll my eyes at him. "Her name is Samantha. And it's none of your business."

He chuckles, running his hand through his shaggy black hair. "Whatever. I think having a girlfriend would do you good. I could spend more time with mine if you were in a relationship." Birdie giggles obnoxiously and plants a kiss on his neck. "Although, it's not bad being unattached." She conveniently ignores the last part.

Ugh. Tyler has no genuine interest in spending time with her. In fact, when she invited him to tonight's party, he declined. But of course, she giggles and smiles at his comment.

Tyler and I may not like each other, but we try our best to get along for Birdie's sake. I believe Birdie deserves someone better than him. He thinks I'm just trying to sabotage their relationship because I'm single.

In reality, the reason I want her to leave him is that she's too "in love" to stop going back to him. Despite the arguments, the cheating, and the weeks or even months of disappearing without a text or call.

I can't understand why she settles for a guy like him. She's pretty, downright beautiful even. Tiny tan freckles sprinkle her skin, the color of brown sugar. Wavy blue hair, a shade that suits her well. She goes light on makeup, except for her eyeliner and mascara, giving her a look that screams, "Leave me alone or else."

She always speaks her mind, no matter how blunt or rude it may be. Her confidence is admirable, and she's brutally honest. A true badass like her doesn't need a guy like him.

I think that Birdie, when it comes to dating, is an adrenaline junkie. Deep down, she craves the extreme highs and lows. The fiery arguments and the passionate making up that follow. It's an emotional roller coaster of a relationship, but Tyler isn't just a roller coaster—he's the whole damn amusement park.