one

Josephine spent the weekends with her roommate, swiping hopelessly through dating apps. They sat on the couch in their living room watching trashy reality tv while complaining about being alone.

"Hey, I have something to tell you," Grace began. Her roommate looked at her. "So, there's this guy I met when I was out a few months ago—"

"Months? Grace, what the hell?"

"I didn't tell you because I didn't know it would last this long! Well, I—I really like him. He's so sweet, and he treats me well... And his family's rich, so that's a plus, but that's not the point. Josie, I'm in love."

Josephine smiled sadly, partly because she remembers being in love and partly because she's lonely. "That's great, Grace. I'm happy for you. What's this guy's name?"

"Alex Le Domas." She smiled. Josephine's smile disappeared. She knew him. The younger brother of someone she knew a long time ago. Alex was seemingly the only person in that family that actually liked Josephine, it was nice to have at least one Le Domas that approved of her relationship with Daniel. Daniel...

     "Do you think... Do you think you'll get married?" It was a sudden question, one that had the power to completely ruin everything if Alex had been there to hear it. Grace smiled to herself, not responding right away. "Oh my god, he proposed."

     "He did."

     Josephine's whole world was coming to a close. She would have to attend the wedding. Grace had no sisters and no other close friends—so she would have to be in the wedding. Alex was closest to his older brother... So that would mean...

     "Are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I just know how sad you've been, I didn't want you to tell you until things got serious. And, well, things are serious!" The bride-to-be smiled brightly. Josephine loved to see her this happy. She just wasn't a fan of the circumstances.

     She tried to lock away all her thoughts, focusing on the fact that her best friend was getting married. "How come he's never come over?"

     "Actually, he's going to be here in half an hour."

     Great.

18 years ago.

     "I think I'm ready to tell you about what happened," Daniel began, his girlfriend's head resting on his bare chest. He ran his fingers through her hair for comfort, he loved her hair. He loved her.

     "I'm ready to listen." She hummed, her eyes looking out at the view before them. They'd gone to a fancy hotel—he was old enough (and rich enough) to get a room. They couldn't go to his house, his family hated Josephine. And they couldn't go to her house, her father would make them stay six feet apart.

     "My family does this thing, every time someone marries into the family. Uh, we have to play a game. It could be a board game or something, but it's random, you know? The person joining the family has to pick a card, and there is one bad card," his voice started to become shaky, she noticed this and sat up. She placed her hand over his heart as he took a deep breath. "It's hide and seek. And, the family has to find the groom or bride, whatever it is, before dawn. If we don't, we die."

     She could tell how afraid he was to relive this, he couldn't possibly be lying. "You don't have to go on, if you don't want to."

      "I want you to know," he took a deep breath. She wiped away a tear that had slipped from his eye. "I was six, when someone pulled that card. I feel so awful... Josephine, please tell me you won't hate me for this."

     "I could never hate you."

     "I—I told everyone else where he was, I saw him die, right in front of me." He avoided her eyes, taking a wavering breath. She placed her hand on his cheek, looking into his sad eyes.

     She pressed a soft kiss to his lips, caressing his cheek as she pulled away. "I love you."

     "I love you too."

present day.

     "Hey, Alex, it's so nice to meet you." Josephine spoke through gritted teeth, shaking his hand.

      "Nice to meet you, too." He smiled kindly.

      "Okay, you two get acquainted, I've gotta go get some snacks in the kitchen." Grace said happily, walking away.

      "Did you tell her about Daniel?" He asked suddenly.

      She scoffed. "Of course I didn't. I told her about him but I never said his name."

      "It is nice to see you again, Josephine. I'm sorry things didn't—"

     "Why did you have to fucking propose?" She turned to him. "I can't lose my best friend, Alex. She's all I have."

     "What are you talking about?"

     She sighed, her hand on her forehead. "Don't be fucking stupid."

      "Okay! I got pretzels."

      Josephine sat uncomfortably next to the couple for about fifty minutes—they were desperately trying to make conversation with her but her replies were short. She excused herself and left to her room, locking the door.

     She could lose Grace. Not only that but she was also going to be forced to see the only person she'd ever really loved for the first time in eighteen years. It was just awful. She couldn't win. Only if Grace pulled a good card, but something told her that it probably wouldn't happen.

     Nothing good could possibly come of this.