Chapter thirteen

"Cuba I'm so glad your here." Ms. Janis says as I walk in the front door. She smiles and lights the candle inside her jackolantern. I give her a quick hug then grab one of the pumpkin shaped cookies off the counter. "Hey! Wash your hands." She points at me and I raise my hands up in defense. I quickly wash my hands before I finish my cookie.

Jontavion stands in the doorway watching us with a small smile. "Join us." I say to him. He slowly walks into the kitchen and takes the carving knife and starts working on another pumpkin. "I can't believe tomorrow is Halloween. I haven't bought Misty a costume yet.." I jump up grab my phone. "What's wrong fear?" Ms. Janis asks. "I haven't been home since this morning. Misty probably destroyed my house." She smiles at me. "You know your more then welcome to drop her off over here when you have things to do." I look up at Ms. Janis with a smile. This woman is too kind. "I'll drive?" Jontavion asks me and I nod. "We will be right back mom." He says as he kisses her cheek. "Take your time."

I rush out the front door and jump in the passenger seat of the his car. Jontavion slide in and starts the car. The drive to my house is silent but comfortable because he has his hand on my thigh. We pull up and I jump out of the car before he can even put it in park. I unlock the front door and race up the stairs. When I make it inside I see Misty sitting on the couch with one of my heels in her mouth. She jumps up and trods over to me. The hair on the back of my neck stands up as Jontavion walks in behind me. Misty pushes past me to get to him and I quickly go see what else she has been chewing on. When I enter my room I see my nude pumps and white Louie V's are chewed to shreds. "Misty." I call her and she runs  in my room. I hold my shoes up to her and tell her that she shouldn't  chew my things. She hangs her head and I smile. "My sweet girl." I pick her up and give her kisses.

"Hey could you throw out those heels that are on the couch for me?" I call out to Jontavion. I hear some footsteps in the other room and then I feel him next to me. "You need a bigger apartment." He says to me. I look at him like he's lost his mind because that's the most ludicrous thing I've herd. Before I can respond my phone rings so I step into the bathroom to answer it. "Hey C! It's me Candy." I internally groan because I already know why she's calling. "Hey Candy. What can I do for you?" She talks my ear off for a good 25 minutes before reminding me that tomorrow is my day to make a choice. "Thank you Candy. I'll see you soon." I walk out of the bathroom and see Jontavion standing w a bag on his shoulder. "What's in there?" He looks over at Misty as if the answer is obvious. Misty barks at him before he turns back to me. "This is her going away bag. It's has food, treats, a few sweaters and her bowl." Misty barks at the end of his sentence as if she's agreeing with him. "Oh well then let's go." I say and lead the way to my front door.

When we pull into the driveway at Ms. Janis' house she's on the front porch putting the jackolanterns up. She waves before walking over to the car. I let Misty out and Ms. Janis coos at her as if she were a small baby. Misty rolls over so she can pay her stomach. Jontavion leads me into the house and sets Mistys bag by the couch. "Just so you know I don't think she's going home with you tonight." He smiles at his mother who was leading Misty into the kitchen. "It's fine." I follow him into the back room and smile when the lights come on. There's lights hanging from the ceiling and they look like ice cycles. The back wall of the room had these lights that hung off the wall like a waterfall and I absolutely couldn't resist taking a picture. There were windows where the other wall was supposed to be and it gave off a beautiful view of the forest that was a few miles out behind the house. I turn around and see Jontavion standing there with a bag of weed and a backwood. I smile at him and sit in the beanbag chair closest to the windows. The sun is going down and it's warmth shines through making me remember the day before the twins died.