4

I hadn’t talked to my friends for days and I missed them so much. Not having them around made me realise just how alone I was. In these few days I called my Mother twice as much as I usually did and that said a lot because we talk a lot.

My loneliness actually helped me think about what Anya and Seth told me. It really did feel like I was holding on to a failed relationship. Brandon surprisingly called to apologise and invited me to hang out with him and his friends.

It was just a simple thing at a bar so I wore a casual plain short sleeve dress. I threw on a pair of red pumps to add a little colour to my outfit. I tied my blonde hair in a loose braid and let it fall over my shoulder. Once I touched up my makeup, I gave myself a onceover in the mirror and walked out of the house.

The weather was a little chilly once I stepped out so I rushed back in and grabbed my jacket. It didn’t take me long to get to the bar. Brandon couldn’t pick me up because he was giving a lift to his friends so the car was full.

I looked around for Brandon and spotted him somewhere at the centre. I walked over to where they were and he gave me a smile once he noticed me.

He put his arm out and I went on to lean into him

“Guys this is my girlfriend Kattleya and Kattleya these are my friends. You’ve met Mark and Jack before” I reached my hand out and greeted them “The other two are Joseph and Raymond”

I greeted them too and Raymond grinned “You were right. She is hot… and thick for a white girl”

His comment made me feel uncomfortable but I forced a smile

“Told yah” Brandon commented slapping his friends shoulder before they laughed. I stood there awkwardly before he told me to grab a chair. Luckily there was one nearby so I dragged it towards the table and sat down

It was warmer in the bar so I took off my jacket. Joseph and Jack had their arms around their girlfriends who I was introduced to as the conversation went on. I couldn’t really chat with them because of the distance between us so I just looked and tried to get whatever was going on

I signalled a waiter and ordered myself a beer. He asked me if wanted any food but before I could respond Brandon cut in “She’ll have a salad”

The waiter looked at me as if trying to make sure it’s what I wanted and I gave him a smile for his consideration “I’ll have a cheeseburger with fries please”

“Are you sure about that?” Brandon commented

There was almost a sad expression on the waiters face

“Yes I am but thank you for showing your concern” I said in a sarcastic tone

“Will that be all?” The waiter asked and I nodded

Taking a sip of my beer while waiting for the food, I took out my phone and checked. I had been here a whole of twenty minutes and I was already dreading it. My cheese burger at least kept me occupied when it arrived and it was pretty good.

As the conversation dragged on and on, I felt out of place and sadly I noticed what my friends were trying to tell me. Brandon acted like I wasn’t there unless he needed to prove a point about something stupid. His friends were paying attention to their girlfriends while he just sat their acting like I wasn’t even there.
I excused myself and went to the bathroom. I took my time knowing that there was nothing waiting for me there. I slowly walked back to the table and heard Brandon ranting about his latest stupid story

“Grace was hot” he said “hotter than Kattleya but you gotta work with what you got. Am I right?” He grinned giving his friend a hi-five

Raymond saw me and coughed taking a drink of his beer. I quietly sat down on the chair and I could see the looks of sympathy coming from the other two girls I had hardly said a word to.
You know it’s bad when people you barely know start to feel sorry for you. I didn’t want their sympathy but sadly my sorry excuse of a relationship attracted it. They probably thought I was desperate or something, which was what Seth, told me.

I sighed and almost rejoiced when it was finally over. I said goodbye to his friends and walked over to my car with him hot on my heels since I practically ignored him and dodged his kiss.

“What was that for?” He said whisper shouting. I thought he was actually asking me about why I was upset with him until he opened his mouth “Why did you pull a stunt like that while my friends were watching?”

I took a deep breath before I spoke “What am I to you Brandon?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I feel like you act like I’m just some piece you get to show off to your friends”

“You know that’s not true” he said with a frown “I like you a lot and I just do that to show my friends how amazingly hot my girlfriend is. Is it wrong for me to want to show you off to my friends?” he asked and I shook my head with a small smile “Exactly, now come on let’s go back there and show them that there was nothing to it”

And just like that the smile got wiped off my face. He held my hand but I pulled it out of his grasp. I gave him a long look and proceeded to open my car door.

“Where are you going?”

As much as it hurt me to say it I knew it was for the best “I’m going home. I’ll come over to pick up my stuff tomorrow”

“Why would you need to…” then as if it hit him he shook his head “Kat come on, you can’t be serious”

I didn't know whether it was just my imagination but it actually looked like he concerned.

“I am very serious”

“Over a silly get together with my friends” he asked incredulously

“No” I said slamming the door shut “This is about you and how you treat me. You spent the entire dinner ignoring me. The only time you brought me into a conversation was when you wanted to talk about some part of my body. Do you know how degrading that is?”

“That’s not true”

“It is and your friends know it. It’s so obvious I’m nothing but a little conquest to you”

His face grew serious “Your friends put you up to this, didn’t they?”

“Don’t bring my friends into this”

“Why not? They’ve never liked our relationship”

“Because of how you treat me Brandon. You’re supposed to help me build my self-esteem not ruin it” I said quietly “Do you know how many diets I had to go on when you told me my stomach wasn’t flat enough or that my thighs looked too big”

“I was doing it for you. I’m your boyfriend”

“No you were doing it for yourself so your arm candy remained presentable. I never tell you to go to the gym because of your serious lack of muscle” He opened his mouth but I cut him off “No. I accepted you for who you were. There are points when we lose and gain weight, it is normal but you always made me feel like I was doing something horribly wrong and I have reached my tipping point. Brandon I’m done and I wish you well” My eyes felt teary but I held them back “I will come by to get my stuff preferably when you’re not around tomorrow”

With that I got into my car and drove off. I didn’t even bother looking into my rear view mirror—the past is the past.

****
A/N
So I was going through my phone and I found this mini story I wrote some time back but never finished.
I like it so I'll be posting it here too, probably by next week since it's practically almost done.

Feel free to like, vote and comment.