A Different Type of Princess

I was jogging through the forest, as I did most days, when her startled voice rang clearly through my ears. The high pitched tone immediately revealed it belonged to her, besides no one else should be around for miles. Men patrolled every corner of the vast woodlands and very little got in or out whilst they were on duty. Naturally, I come to a halt, listening out for the familiar voice.

"I swear, I'll do it!" Octavia squeaks, fear evident in her voice as it travels through the wind to reach me. "Tell me!"

Choosing to resume my regime, I figure that whatever is happening I'm sure the guys will handle it. I mean, what damage could a teenage girl possibly do against two adult men? Taking a moment to think it through, she did stab Akira, and kick Ezio in the nuts. Maybe she isn't so harmless.

The previous evening I had learnt of Octavia's true identity, during a heated conversation with Scar. He hadn't been at all pleased when I'd contacted him to demand to know answers.

*****

"I'm sure you can handle a teenage girl", he'd replied snidely to my questioning.

"It's not my job to be a fucking babysitter!" I argued, momentarily losing control of my myself.

"It's your job to do whatever I fucking tell you to do, Carlos!"

That one made me flinch.

"Just tell me who she is, Scar. I want to know why we need to protect her."

A long uncomfortable silence followed through the line, but finally, Scar released a loud sigh before he unwillingly answered.

"Octavia is my daughter."

***

The bone chilling crack of a gun shot stops me dead in my tracks. Judging from the sheer volume produced, it's nearby.

Before I've had time to contemplate my thoughts, I break into a sprint, darting past the trees as quick as my legs will carry me. After a short time, I spot three figures standing a few hundred yards in front of me.

Octavia stands with her back to me, like a frightened rabbit cornered by two ferocious wolves. Ezio and Logan edge closer to her with caution, guns ready and waiting in their hands. She holds up a gun of her own, pointing the barrel at Ezio. Although the gun itself isn't physically in view, her stance tells me all I need to know.

What the fuck is she doing? Who gave her a fucking gun? A low growl escapes my chest, as I begin to creep stealthily towards her, calculating each one of my steps so I don't create any unwanted noise.

"Let's stop this now, Octavia," Logan mutters in irritation, "Its really getting old."

"I'll never stop running from you," she cries, switching her aim between the two of them. "Not until I'm thousands of miles away from every single one of you. Not until I'm back safe at home."

I sigh heavily, preparing myself for the onslaught of her reaction. "You're never going home, Octavia," I speak calmly, making sure my message is crystal clear. She has to accept the impasse she's in, or this will be a rather difficult task to handle.

Her body visibly tenses, at the tone of my voice. Spinning round in a blind panic, her gun drops to the floor with a clunk and her eyes widen in fear. Ezio seizes the chance to grab it, holding it a safe distance from her. Whereas I take that opportunity to lunge for her, eager to catch her before the circumstances escalate further. Only I wasn't expecting her to jump at me too, at the exact same time.

Her skinny arms encircle my waist, grasping me tightly. Standing there, stunned, in the middle of the forest, Octavia sobs uncontrollably into my sweaty t shirt, clinging to the material like her life depends on it.