Remembrance

Severus Snape rushed into the house, fearing the worst.

Who am I kidding, he thought. The worst has already happened.

He saw the body of his rival, James Potter. Potter was lying on the floor, looking for all the world like a crumpled marionette.

Well then, Potter... At least you tried...

Quickening his pace now, he raced up the stairs to the upstairs bedroom. What he saw next, quite frankly, would shock him forever.

No... This... This cannot be...

Her auburn hair, her slender frame, and... And those beautiful, piercing green eyes...

Severus stopped in the doorway. Shocked. Astonished. Terrified of what he saw.

Finally, he moved. With an anguished cry which bordered on the animal, he flung himself on her, cradling her body, her cold, lifeless body in his arms.

Tears never came easily for Severus. But this time, tears were all that were there.

He never wanted to let go of her.

More anguished cries of sorrow, until a sound snapped him out of his reverie.

The boy... Her child...

He peered into the cot. The boy was crying now, knowing that it was not his father staring at him. Severus had no experience with children, so he continued staring blankly.

Then he noticed his eyes.

Green... Lily's eyes...

Without any warning, without any ceremony, the tears came back again.

Tears that would forever haunt his memories.

Severus Snape would never be the same again.