Chapter 3

I asked him to pick out a spot to sit, but he casually pulled my hand along and sat at an isolated seat. He might've done that out of concern. Nevertheless, I felt extremely happy even if it wasn't with that intention.

I take out the notes and the laptop that I recently bought with my money. He watches me as I did my thing as if he wouldn't get bored of it. When he finally got up, I look up at him.

"I'm going to get a book to read." He whispered and left his seat.

I went back to taking more notes. The more I took, the more anxious I got. Was he coming back? Those seconds felt like hours to me. Finally having enough of it, I took my eyes off the screen and was surprised that he was there the whole time, reading a book.

He was silently flipping through the pages. When did he get there? The more I stared at this man, the more thoughts filled my head. The more he became candy for the eyes. What was his purpose? When is he going to leave me? Was he showing a front?

"Am I that striking?" He chuckles quietly as he looks back at me, raising one eyebrow.

He wasn't lying. His calm demeanor and soothing voice would've won anyone. I felt my face slightly blush. My lips parted to speak, but I swallowed back down the words. The more we stared at each other, the more I felt embarrassed. I look away out of embarrassment.

"Don't look away." He smirks, putting his book down and propping his hand up to support his head.

"Don't look at me like that. It's.. weird." I mumble.

"Hehe... pay more attention to me." His smile was ear to ear.

My heart felt so full today. I don't think I can focus on my notes anymore. His hand reach out to brush against my cheek, but I flinched in response.

"Ah, sorry." He apologized.

"No, it's okay." I replied, but I honestly thought he was about to slap me.

My body shivers but calmed down. I hadn't shaken off the feeling of my mother's beating. The slap from yesterday was still fresh in my mind, and no one was there to help me..

"I'm not going to hurt you, ever. I promise." He quietly said.

His hand continues to caress my cheek gently and as careful as he could, as if his touch was tainted. Once the warm hand left my face, I couldn't help but want more. Was it bad to want more?

"Are you done? Your hands haven't been moving for a while now." He picks up the book again.

"It's just extra notes for tomorrow. I'll finish it by today." I answered, glancing at him.

"Extra notes? Y/n..." He sighs, "why are you working so hard? Save those for tomorrow."

"But... I'm not good enough. I have to work harder. My grades are terrible."

"Terrible? What did you get last semester?"

"Some B+ and A-.."

"Hah?!" He loudly said, attracting attention, but quiet down, "that's not terrible at all. In fact, you are doing good. How could you say that it's terrible?"

"My mother said so. That I am a terrible daughter, unfilial. That she shouldn't have given birth to me.." I lower my head as I spoke. Her words are always with me. The words she spoke to me were like curses, always stuck with me and negative.

"Then if I say that it's not terrible, and it's great, then it's great because I said so too. Your mother is wrong. I'm not one to talk about your relationship with her, but I'm pretty sure you've both cut your ties, so you wouldn't need to call her 'mother' anymore." His hand once again came towards me, patting my head.

"Mn.."

"And you're not unfilial. I am glad that you were born. I am super thrilled that you were... if not for you, I wouldn't be who I am. I would've stopped striving for freedom."

"Me? We just met yesterday."

"You don't remember? Oh well, that's fine. Given that you were stressed and living in a toxic household, I figured that you would eventually."

I stare into his deep blue eyes, completely flabbergasted. It was so gentle. His words were like magic, melting away the ice walls around me, undoing the curse even if it was for a moment. The book was put down once more, and his hands went to cup my face.

"This was the exact face when I had thanked you. This unforgettable face of yours lives within me every day since that day." He smiles, speaking quietly.

"I don't know.. I'm not that pretty." After all, she's always complaining about my face.

"What are you saying? If I say so, then you are. No exceptions. So what if she says it? In my eyes, you are perfect." He takes his hands away.

I didn't say a word, knowing that he would say something I wasn't expecting, so I gave him a slight smile. He open his book and went back to reading with a slight blush on his pale cheeks. I was still stunned by his words, unable to break my gaze away from him.

He took my breath away... completely.

I got myself together and focused on the notes. The notes were already half done, so I quickly finished the rest. When I was done, I stretched my arms, never feeling this refreshed before. Seeing me stretch, he smiles as he puts the book down.

"Are you don-"

"Excuse me," A girl approached us, mainly looking at Killua, "can I get your number?"

"No." He bluntly rejected her.

She walks away to her friend group, but once she returned with a sad frown, one of her friend came up. Killua didn't even start to finish his sentence when she said, "May I know why you rejected her?"

"I just don't want to." He replied nonchalantly.

"Isn't fine to give it a try? She's gone through a really bad break up. She could also really use some time to forget about her ex." She persisted, ignoring me and continuing to talk to him.

"First off, I don't know you. Second, I don't think she is invisible. Haven't you seen me flirt with her?" Killua looks at me, "besides, your friend needs some food and comfort from you, not me. Aren't you her friend?"

The girl, not knowing what to reply, glanced at me and walked away. Her face was sort of sour. I turn to look at Killua.

"You sure know a lot." I said.

"Hehe," He scratch his head, "beside that, are you all done now?"

I nod, thanking him for just being there.

"Speaking of number, do you have a phone?" He tilt his head.

"Surprisingly, I do." I chuckle at the irony.

"Then lend me it for a moment." He holds out his hand.

"It died due to the water yesterday though."

"Then let me borrow a marker or pen and a paper."

I grab a pen and rip out a paper for him. He takes it and starts to write something on it before flipping it for me to see. Sliding the paper and pen towards me, he said, "Fill out a quick survey, will you?"

I nod, looking at the paper to see what he had written:

Full name:
Your number:
Thank you for your time!

Below the 'thank you' was his number. I blush and look back up at him. His hand went up next to his ear in a fist form with his thumb and pinky out as he smirks.

"Others call you y/n, but can I call you tonight?" He smirks.