I. New Year, New Experiences

The new year came. January 2017 rolled around upon the end of New Haven's winter break, with New Haven reopening for its winter term. The ferries have already begun carrying students and faculty alike from the mainland and back to the island after three weeks off.

Lena leaned on the railing at the stern of the Hurricane, the sea breeze blowing through her hair. She took a deep breath as the sound of the propeller slicing through the water. Upon hearing voices from behind her, she turned around and saw Luke and Dai passing by.
"Hey, guys," she said, her voice going more quiet by the end of the sentence.
"Lena!" Luke waved and hurried over to her, "We didn't see you all break!"
"Yeah... I just... wanted to take the time to literally just... do nothing," Lena shrugged.
"Oh, I feel," Luke nodded, "The beginning of break was... somethin'."
"Too right," Dai agreed as he joined them, "Also, hey Lena."
"Hey, Dai," Lena greeted, "How was you guys' break?"
"Mostly nice and quiet," Dai replied.
"Mostly?" Lena asked.
Dai stuffed his hands in his hoodie pocket, exhaling sharply.

"Luke and Kai tried to... find where Aria lived," Dai explained.
"Oh, yeah, we were lost for like, five hours," Luke chuckled.
Lena laughed, "For real? Did she give you her address?"
"Duh," Luke exaggerated comically, "Just... it was more difficult to find than we thought."
"That's why I tell you to double-check," Dai huffed.
"Yeah..." Luke chuckled, "Anyway, this entire ferry ride has just been so boringggg."
"Boring?" Lena asked.
"Yeah," Luke huffed, "Once we get to Elfen, I wanna train. I need to get my blood pumping and my Gift flowing."
"I'm not sure about that," Dai said.
The other two looked up at the taller boy.
"What do you mean?" Lena asked.
"Have... have you two not read your emails from the school?" Dai asked.
"Oh, those go straight into my spam," Lena said, her expression turning deadpan.
"I don't even check my email half the time," Luke chuckled nervously.
Dai sighed.

"Apparently, Ms. Danford is going to the U.K. for an indefinite amount of time. Her sister was attacked and wounded by Gifted," Dai explained.
"Oh my god..." Luke said, surprised.
"What..." Lena reacted in shocked awe.
"Yeah, and Kendra Charmaine is taking over as headmistress until she's back," Dai continued.
"Charmaine...?" Lena asked, "Yo, isn't that Max's last name?"
"It's his mom, I think," Dai nodded, "Anyway, she is altering some of the rules. It didn't say anything about training on the island, but there's gonna be an assembly later today where she goes over her rules."
"Well, that's stupid," Lena grumbled.
"Right," Luke agreed, "Why would she change the rules?"
"Probably to make running New Haven easier on her," Dai suggested, "I mean, she's never done something like this before."
"I guess," Luke moped, "Still."
"Just be careful about what you do," Dai advised, "Anyway, I'm gonna go find Kai and Raina. We'll probably dock soon."
"I guess I'll come with," Lena said, "Got nothing better to do in the meantime."
Dai smiled and headed off, with Lena about to follow him, when Luke grabbed her arm.
"Huh—? What are you doing?" Lena asked, slightly annoyed.
"Aria is below deck, she just texted me," Luke said, "I have a little idea but I need you for it."
Lena's eyebrows arched up, "Oh?"
"Yeah," Luke giggled, and began whispering in her ear.

🌷

Dai watched as Lena and Luke headed off down the stairs to the deck below, rolling his eyes.
"They better not do anything stupid," he muttered to himself.
He traversed along the side of the top deck, seeing his siblings leaning against the rail in the distance.
As he continued along, he was coming up on a door that led into the indoor part of the top deck.
He was just passing it, when it opened and he nearly ran into the person exiting.
"Whoa, sorry—" he uttered instinctively, when he noticed who it was.
"Max...?"

Max looked up at him nervously.
"Oh, hey... Dai," he managed a smile.
"Hey...!" Dai said, "It's been forever. Raina told us she told you what was happening at the start of break!"
"Yeah... she did."
"Where did you go?" Dai asked, "Lena wanted to find you and tell you we made it back safe with Jace."
"Oh... she did?" Max asked.
"Of course," Dai said, "Since you knew what we were doing, it would have only been right to tell you we were okay."
"Yeah... don't worry about it," Max forced a smile, "I had stuff to attend to anyway."
"What stuff?" Dai asked, "...If I may, that is."
Max paused, "I-I don't wanna bore you..."
A look of sympathy crossed Dai's face.
"Friends listen to each other," he said, going over to the railing and leaning on it, "So, I'll listen to you."
Max stared for a moment, blushing slightly, "You... consider me a friend?"
"I mean, I don't have a reason not to," Dai smiled, "After all, we already danced with each other at the bonfire party and teamed up for the tournament."
Max chuckled, blushing more as the memories came back to him. He then went over and joined Dai in leaning against the railing.

"I'm sure my stuff is nowhere near the level of stress your stuff caused you, though," Max commented, "I mean, the Bàs Fuar?"
Dai exhaled through his teeth, "Trust me, going through it once was bad enough."
Max nodded understandingly, "I'm really glad you all made it back safe, truly."
Dai smiled, "Thank you."
Both chuckled anxiously for a moment, the conversation suddenly ending awkwardly.

"Uh, so," Dai started, "What's going on with you?"
"Oh," Max paused, "My, uh, mom... is the headmistress now, believe it or not."
"So, she really is your mom?" Dai asked, "Huh, I realized you two had the same last name but I just assumed."
"Yeah," Max chuckled awkwardly, "My family is just... it can be..."
He trailed off, trying to find the right words.
"...a lot." He finished.
Dai sniffed, "Tell me about it."
Max looked at him, "Huh? But, your family seems so good."
"I hardly ever see my dad and I'm the oddball of the litter," Dai said in an exaggeratedly sarcastic tone, "I think I know a little bit about families that can be 'a lot'. Especially when I'm the one who plays a part in making it 'a lot'."
Max chuckled, and began giggling profusely.
His giggling subsequently got Dai giggling.
"W-Why are you laughing so m-much?" Dai asked between giggles.
"Because..." Max replied, still giggling, "You're funny."
Dai slowly stopped giggling, a bit of red in his cheeks.
Max slowly came to a stop too, taking a deep breath.

"Why did you start laughing?" Max asked, "I didn't do anything funny."
"It's just... your laugh is contagious, I guess," Dai shrugged.
Max felt his cheeks go warm now, and the two had a moment of silence before breaking out of it.
"So, uh," Dai ventured, "If you're not comfortable talking about what's on your mind with me, that's okay. Just know I'm here for you, and so is Lena."
Max smiled, touched, "Thanks."
He then fiddled with his fingers for a moment.
"Actually, it's just that..." he started, "My mom can be—"

"Maxwell!"

Both boys jumped slightly, and turned to see a tan, dark haired girl in a blouse and skirt come over to them.
"Maxwell, stay with us," she said, "Come over here."
Max sighed, "That's Martha, my sister... I should go."
"Oh, okay..." Dai said, "I suppose I'll just see you around?"
Max smiled, "Yeah."

He then waved and hurriedly ran over to his sister, rejoining her indoors.
Dai watched them go, perplexed.