XII. The Dance

The following week began, and flyers were being posted on New Haven's bulletin boards in the dorms and the classrooms.
They advertised a "New Haven Winter Dance" which would take place on the twenty-seventh of January.

Lena, Aria, and Raina had finished their classes that day and were making their way back to their dorm room when they happened upon one of the flyers on their dorm's bulletin in the lobby.
"Oooo!!!" Aria exclaimed, "It's the winter dance!!"
"Pardon," Raina asked.
"Every year, New Haven does a dance for the winter," Aria explained, "It's so fun!!"
"Eh," Raina shrugged, "The last party I went to, some guy tried to humiliate my brothers and I, and I nearly had to put him down."
"Come on, Raina," Aria pleaded, "You'd gotta go with me and Lena! Imagine the fun we'll have!"

Lena looked at the flyer, catching a certain blurb near the bottom.
"'For any questions, please contact Kendra Charmaine'," she recited, "...She's actually hosting this?"
"I guess," Raina shrugged, "Probably to keep people happy."
"Honestly, I'm just glad we're still having it this year," Aria said excitedly, "If she didn't, it would be so disappointing."
"Mhm," Raina nodded.

Lena looked back at the flyer thoughtfully.
"I've... never gone to a dance before," she admitted a moment later, "I'm not sure I want to, either."
Aria looked at her, bewildered.
"What?!" she burst out.
"Look, I've seen them on TV. Dressing kinda nice, dancing to terrible songs, having people judge you for the littlest thing," Lena continued, "Plus, Raina's right, the last party we went to was awful."
"This is a school-ran dance," Aria countered, "Teachers are gonna chaperone, so no gross stunts like what happened to Raina and the twins would happen."
"Don't remind me of it again," Raina grumbled.
"And," Aria continued, elbowing Lena's arm, "This'll also be a good chance to dance with Jace again."
Lena shook her off, "Whatever. I'll... think... about going."

Aria smirked, whilst Raina just rolled her eyes.

🥀

Meanwhile, Kai was strumming his guitar in the courtyard, sitting on a bench as the nearby sound of rushing water in the fountain filled the air.

As he did, Dai joined him a moment later, who patiently waited for him to stop strumming to speak.
Kai noticed him and immediately paused, "What's up?"
"Nothing, I just wanted to ask if you noticed the flyers around campus?"
"The ones about the dance? Yeah, I'm taking Judith, why?"
"Aren't you... perturbed... by it?"
Kai looked at him strangely.
"'Perturbed'? Why would I be, as you say, 'perturbed'?"
"Because of Charmaine! Don't you think it's strange she's hosting this dance despite her rule changes, and the subsequent backlash?"
An amused smile crossed Kai's face, as he set his guitar down on his lap.

"I think you-," he said, booping Dai's nose, "-need to chill out. It's a dance, what's she gonna do? Tell us we're not allowed to dance at the dance?"
"No, it just... doesn't feel right. I also haven't heard from Max all weekend, and I'm not sure if-"
"Don't tell me you not texting your new boy toy is the cause of this paranoia," Kai interrupted.
Red crossed Dai's face as he grew irritated.
"He's not a 'boy toy'!" he refuted, "He's my friend and I'm worried about him!"
Kai placed his guitar on the ground, leaning it against the bench's arm rest.

"You know I was joking, dude," he said, "I've seen how you two connected. Don't you think it may be time to give the dating scene another chance?"
"You know I can't," Dai retorted.
Kai arched an eyebrow, "Come on, you're clearly using this worry about the dumb dance as an excuse to worry about Max. Sure, his situation already doesn't seem ideal, but I doubt there's some ulterior motive for Charmaine hosting the dance other than just to... host the dance."
Dai paused.
"Maybe it's just 'cause you're angry for him," Kai suggested.
"Of course I am!" Dai huffed, "And of course I'm worried!"
"Are you sure he hasn't caught your eye?" Kai asked, "Even a little?"
"I'm. Sure," Dai said firmly.
"Alright," Kai shrugged, a knowing smile on his face, "Though, take my advice; you're gonna have to give people chances. Not everyone is gonna be like Alana."

Dai didn't say anything, he just looked at the ground and twiddled his thumbs.
Kai looked over at him, "I know you said you didn't like him, at least, not in that way. But, maybeeee- and this is just a suggestion, but what if you asked him to the dance?"
Dai blushed and looked bewilderedly at him, "What?!"
"Ask Max to the dance, fool," Kai said, "Come on, it's just one stupid event."
"I mean... maybe... but I get the feeling I wouldn't be able too," Dai answered, "Ugh, I just wanna know why he hasn't talked to me all weekend."
Kai shrugged, "Maybe something came up. Don't you have homeroom with him?"
"I do, but he wasn't there this morning," Dai sighed.
"Weird," Kai acknowledged.

"Uh, excuse me."
The two twins looked over next to Dai to see Jack, Luke's ex, standing next to their bench.
"I remember you, from the other day," he said with a grin, "You have a twin brother?"
"Huh?" Dai asked, then realized, "Oh, um, yes."
"Pardon," Kai interjected, "But who is this?"
"Oh, this is..." Dai paused.
"I'm Jack," Jack introduced, "I met your bro on Friday. I... knew Luke way back when."
"Oh, cool," Kai said cautiously, "I'm Kai."
"Dai and Kai, rhyming names," Jack chuckled, "Adorable."
Dai and Kai both chuckled awkwardly.

"Anyway, mind if I join you guys...? It's been a while since I've been here and all my old friends seem to be gone, save for Luke," Jack asked.
"Oh, um, sure," Kai smiled and scooted over to the furthest end of the bench, Dai following suit, and Jack plopping down next to them.
"Thanks," he said, "So, this security stuff, huh?"
"Yeah," Kai replied, "It's insane."
"That lady and her kids all have sticks up their ass, I swear," Jack continued.
"Not... all of them," Dai interjected.
"Oh? Do you know one?"
"Kind of...? He's nice."
"Not as nice as you, I bet."
Dai blushed awkwardly just as Kai looked over, his gaze narrowing.