IX. Sleepover!

A couple of days later, Friday came around. Luke exited his last class of the day with eagerness, looking forward to that night's events.

He had a certain pep in his step as he made his way out into the courtyard, where he saw Aria and Dai sitting on a bench, having conversation with one another.
Coming up behind them, he mischievously crept closer and grabbed both of their shoulders, making both of them jump.
"Hey guys," he grinned.
"Must you feel the need to creep up behind people?" Dai asked, "It's a good way to get a Gift in the face."
Luke chuckled as he swept over the back of the bench and plopped down into a seat between them.

Aria giggled, "Hello, Luke. How were your classes?"
Luke shrugged and made a mocking gesture with his hand, making them appear as if they were talking.
"Too much of this," he said plainly.
Aria giggled again, a light blush filling her cheeks.
"No wonder you fulfill the trope of the 'dumb blond' so easily," Dai mocked, "Your grades are probably suffering."
"Hey!" Luke huffed, "My hair has nothing to do with my grades."
"That's—" Dai started.
"Has your hair gotten longer?" Aria noticed, "Are you growing it out?"
"Hm? Oh, yeah," Luke beamed, "I figured longer hair might suit me better."
Dai rolled his eyes while Aria just smiled.
"I'm sure you'd look really handsome with longer hair," she smiled.
Luke just blushed and looked into her brown and blue eyes.

While they were having their moment, Dai noticed an unfamiliar boy approaching them.
"Uh, hey," he nudged Luke's arm, "I think we got someone coming over to us."
Sure enough, the boy came over to them. His dark brown hair was styled up on the top of his scalp with an undercut, and had light orange eyes with fair skin. He wore a yellow varsity jacket with 'U.H.' over the heart.
"Luke...? It's really you?" he asked.
Luke looked at the visitor, his expression turning to one of shock.
"Jack...?"
The stranger, Jack, then smiled as Luke stood up.
"Oh my god, it feels like forever!" Jack said, hugging Luke. Luke awkwardly returned the hug as Aria and Dai looked at them, then at each other, confused.

"Y-Yeah..." Luke uttered, "It's been... a little over a year, I think?"
"Yeah! Wow, it feels like just yesterday we..."
Jack trailed off as he noticed Dai and Aria.
"Oh... are these friends of yours?"
"Uh, yeah," Luke said, turning to face them.
"Dai, Aria, this is Jack," Luke said, "We... uh..."
"We used to date," Jack finished, "Jeez, when did you get so shy?"
Luke uncomfortably laughed as Jack approached the two friends.
"Wow..." he said, turning to Aria, "Your eyes are gorgeous."
Aria blushed, "Oh... um, thank you."
"What kind of Gifted are you?" Jack asked, "Wait, don't tell me... hmm... water?"
"Yep," Aria nodded.
"Nailed it!" Jack clenched his fist in triumph before turning to Dai.
"And you must be Dai!" Jack said, "Wow... you got a cute face."
Dai's face immediately turned beet red, "Uh... well..."
Jack then chuckled, "Dang, doesn't take much to flatter you, huh?"
Dai didn't reply, he just avoided eye contact, flustered.

"Anyways," Jack said, turning back to Luke, "I go here again now!"
"Really?" Luke asked, trying to sound excited.
"Yessir!" Jack said, "I... know things between us didn't end quite as well as either of us would have liked... but... since I'm back, I hope we can put that behind us and... start fresh."
Luke paused, "Uh... yeah. That sounds... nice."
Jack smiled, "Welp, I just thought I'd come and say hi, since I saw ya. See ya around, Luke."
He then turned to Dai and Aria.
"And I'll see you two cuties around," he grinned, bowing his head at them before heading off to the dorms.

Dai and Aria just watched him go as Luke looked awkwardly to the cobblestones under his feet.

"So... what the hell was that?" Dai asked.

🥀

"Luke had an EX," Aria bellowed later that evening, "I mean, it's not that surprising I guess, but the guy is just—"
"I would interrupt you and say 'flirty'," Raina offered, "But you've been rambling about this the whole time we've been preparing for this sleepover."
Aria sighed and lied down on her bed in her pajamas.

"I just..." she groaned, "I mean, the guy seems fine and I don't wanna judge him, but—"
"Sounds to me," Raina interrupted once again, "That you're jealous."
Aria scoffed, "No, I'm not."
"Mmmm," Raina hummed, "Debatable."
"Would you two shush," Lena huffed as she assorted snacks they got from the food court and the vending machines, "Anyway, this guy and Luke had a thing a year ago, right? Did Luke seem glad to see him?"
"...No," Aria answered, "In fact, he seemed... like he didn't want to be there."
"Whatever happened between them is in the past," Raina said, "Let's focus on tonight. The others will arrive soon."
Aria took a deep breath, "You're right... this is for us... and Jace."

As if on cue, a knock came at their door.
Raina went over to the door and opened it, to find Jace standing on the other side.
"I... know I'm a little early," he said, "But... hey."
"'Sup," Raina greeted, moving to the side to let him in.
"Jace!" Aria grinned, jumping up and hugging him.
Jace, surprised by the sudden hug, returned it.

Lena came over to them as well, "Hey."
"Hey," Jace smiled upon seeing her.
The two chuckled as another knock came from behind them.
"Hey, hey, hey!" Luke grinned as he and the twins entered, carrying their own food.
"We said we got snacks," Raina huffed.
"Blame Luke," Dai sighed, "He insisted."
"Listen," Luke said, "We're growing boys! Growing boys need more than what's available!"
"Growing boys?" Lena asked, "More like growing pains-in-my-ass."
Most of the group then laughed as they all got settled in.

The twins sat on Aria's bed with her, and Raina lied on her stomach on hers, while the others sat in a circle on the floor, each having their own conversations.
"Anyways," Lena said, turning to Jace, "Have you still been having trouble sleeping?"
Jace looked to her, and nodded.
Lena looked sympathetically at him, and locked elbows with him.
"Maybe it'll be different tonight," she said hopefully.
Jace smiled at her, "I hope so."

Meanwhile, Dai was relentlessly checking his phone as Kai and Aria talked. Raina noticed his lack of involvement from where she lied on her bed.
"Hey," she said, "Expecting a text?"
Dai looked at her and placed his phone down.
"Kind of..." he said, "I... invited Max to join us. He said he'd have to see but..."
Kai then perked up, turning to him with a mischievous grin.
"You liiiiiike hiiiiiim," he said in a taunting voice.
Dai turned red and slapped his arm.
"Excuse me?" Raina asked.
"Yeah, I don't follow," Aria agreed.
"Dai rushed off the other day cus he said he had to run an errand," Kai explained, "Turns out he was with that Max boy. They held hands and everything."
Dai looked mortifiedly at his brother, "You... stalked us?!"
"Well—" Kai started.
"Not cool, Kai," Raina huffed, "You're totally unbelievable sometimes."
"Hey, hey, I'm only teasing," Kai said, whilst Dai crossed his arms indignantly, embarrassed.
"We were talking about his mom," Dai explained angrily, "And I thought he would benefit by being here, with us."
"And that's real good of you," Kai said, patting his twin's shoulder, "You know I'm playing."

"Hey, are you talking about—" Luke asked from the floor.
"Yep," Kai answered, "Don't push it, though."
Luke then looked to Dai, "Not to be mean, or tease you, or anything, but you two did seem really cute. We were... just passing by—"
"Sure," Dai said, irritatedly, "And I'm The Cold."
"It... does sound like you guys pushed a boundary," Aria said, "I don't know the details, but I know the concept of love and relationships is touchy for Dai right now."
Dai looked to Aria and smiled, "Thank you, Aria."

Suddenly, a knock then came at the door, and everyone tensed up.
"Oh god, it's not nine, is it? Curfew?" Luke asked.
"No, idiot," Lena snarked, "It's only eight."
"Then who—" Aria asked.
"I'll answer it," Dai said, as he was closest to the door. He got up and cracked it open, his eyes widening with surprise when he did.

"Oh... hey," Max said from the other side of the door, in what looked to be pajamas, a bashful look on his face, "A821, right?"