XV. The Day Of

A few days passed, and the day of the dance came upon New Haven. During the morning, many students and teachers helped decorate the lobby of the auditorium, as well as the entire outside courtyard, garden, and food court. Streamers hung around the outside of the auditorium, colorful and bright. The surrounding lamp posts all had their bulbs changed to ones of various blues, reds, greens, and yellows.

Kendra oversaw the preparations in earnest. She watched as two students hung up a banner over the auditorium door when her daughter, Martha, approached her.
"We got the spotlights from the A/V room," she reported, "Where do you want them?"
"Leave them for now," Kendra replied, "We'll be getting them set up closer to time. How's Maxwell?"
"Better than a few days ago," Martha reported.
"Good. Make sure he's on his feet for tonight," Kendra said, "No excuses. I want you all to be here."
"Got it," Martha nodded, "Should I get Matthew on it?"
"Yes," Kendra affirmed, and Martha started to head off. Kendra paused a moment, then turned to face her.
"Martha," she called.
Martha stopped walking and turned back around.
"Have Matthew make sure those... people... that took him out of class don't see him," Kendra advised.
Martha paused, then nodded, before continuing on her way.

Kendra then returned her attention to the preparations, her face stern and thoughtful.

🥀

"So... basically," Luke was saying, "I know I went on kinda this long... uh... thing, but the point is... I wanted to ask you if you wanted... to go to the dance tonight with me?"
Aria giggled, red filling her tan cheeks.
"Yes! Yes, yes, of course I will!" she said excitedly, practically flinging herself on Luke in a hug.
Luke hugged her back, his laughter filling the class hallway.

After hugging for a moment, the two broke apart.
"Wow, I have been wanting to ask you all week," Aria admitted, "I just wasn't sure if you already... had someone else in mind."
"Oh, no!" Luke answered, "I just wanted to ask you! It's just, uh... been a while since I asked someone out."
"Asked someone out?" Aria asked, with a playful smile.
Luke paused, red filling his cheeks, "Uhh, I mean, uh-"
Aria chuckled, caressing his arm, "It's a date, then."
Luke paused again, a smile appearing on his face.

"I'll see you later, then," Aria said, backing away, "I gotta go get ready and stuff."
"Yeah! Same... so, see yah," Luke smiled, waving.
Aria fluttered her fingers at him, and hurried away.
Luke watched her go, a mesmerized look on his face.

"Hey...!" Jack said from behind him, "That was real cute."
Luke's look dissolved into one of uncertainty, turning around to face him.
"You two haven't snuck around to make out, huh?" he asked with a knowing grin.
"No," Luke said firmly, "I'm past that."
"Yeah... Y'know, that's what we used to do," Jack chuckled, "Took a while for you to properly ask me out."
He then looked out the window in a reminiscing manner, "Good times, good times..."
"Yeah, well, those days are long over," Luke said, brushing past him, "If you'll excuse me, I have a date to get ready for."
"Damn, Luke. You really doing me like that? You really doing us like that?" Jack asked.
Luke stopped, taking a baited breath.

"I'll admit, we were far from perfect," Jack shrugged, getting closer to him, "But, I have so many good memories of us. Besides, I thought we split on good terms."
Luke turned around, and crossed his arms, a defiant look on his face.
"You want me to say 'yes'?" Luke asked.
Jack exhaled a chuckle in surprise, "Excuse me?"
"You want me to agree with you, because you, for some reason, don't like the word 'no'," Luke said, "Have you figured for one second that maybe I 'pretended' all was fine."
Jack just shrugged.
"Because let me tell you, all was not fine," Luke continued, "The amount of times we... made out... and it went in directions I didn't want it to go... but you didn't listen to me."
Jack just grinned dismissively, "Luke, come onnn. You enjoyed it. I know you."
Luke stared him straight in the eyes, "I promise, Jack. I didn't enjoy what you did. Now, stay away from me."
Lowering his arms, Luke then started walking away.

"Bet Dai will like it later tonight," Jack taunted maliciously.
Luke stopped again, his defiant expression softened into one of concern.
"Those twins... my god," Jack shook his head, "Never saw a pair of fine men like those two. Though... Dai strikes me as the type to be into guys. Y'know, I was thinking of asking hi-"
Luke turned around and marched straight up to him, a rocky fist over his hand.

"Stay. The hell. Away from him," he warned.
Jack looked from Luke to the fist, and back again.
He smirked, chuckling.
"Well... the word 'no' looking real good to me right now," he smiled.
Luke leaned back slightly in response, appalled.
Jack just backed away, smiling.
"Wish things didn't end up like this," he said, then shrugged, "'Oh well', right?"

He then walked off, sticking his hands in the pockets of his varsity jacket.
Luke watched him go, the rocky fist dissipating.
A look of concern filled his face.

🥀

"But what if he isn't there?" Dai asked, looking at the nice clothes he had packed with him.
"His mother is running the thing," Kai said from where he was in their bathroom, tying a red tie on his black button-up, "No doubt he and his sibs will be there."
"He hasn't been seen since Lena and I took him out of class," Dai reminded, "I'm just... worried."
"You worry too much," Kai commented, "Look, you gonna keep worrying or are you gonna go to the dance in that dusty hoodie?"
"It's not dusty..." Dai crossed his arms.
"Dude, that's the same hoodie Lena wore in Japan," Kai reminded, "You don't even need to wear warm clothing."
"Neither do you."
"Do you see me wearing a freaking parka to the dance?"

Dai rolled his eyes and removed his hoodie and shirt, and returned his attention to the selection of clothes before him, when the door to the dorm opened with Luke slipping inside.
"Oh, hey," Dai smiled, "Did you ask Aria?"
Luke closed the door behind him, looking at him worriedly.
Dai looked to the bathroom for a moment in awkward anticipation, "...everything okay?"
Luke took a breath, "Can you... not go to the dance tonight?"
Dai blinked, "Excuse me?"
"Please... I'll cancel with Aria and we can stay here..." Luke offered.
"What?!" Kai shouted from in the bathroom, "What the hell are you talking about?"
"Yeah... you were so excited to ask Aria this morning. What's going on?" Dai asked.

Luke grabbed Dai by the shoulders and looked at him pleadingly.
"It's Jack... he... he wants to..."
Dai just looked back at him, "...He wants to what...?"
"I... Just please, I don't want you to get hurt..."
Dai looked back at Kai, who shrugged incredulously.
"Luke, I don't know what's going on... but I can't not go... Max might be there and I wanna make sure he's okay," he explained.
Luke looked heartbroken.
"I don't know what Jack wants to do... but I can take care of myself," Dai said, "I appreciate your concern, though, for... whatever the reason."
Luke just stepped back silently, letting Dai get dressed, worry overcoming him.