Games in the Garden

I noticed the lights in between the enclosures were on yet again. I still found it odd and I also saw Zephic and Salo were looking at them too. I tried to wave and see if they would care but Synris was demanding my attention.

I had finally forgiven him for what he did and since he wouldn't leave me alone. I couldn't honestly say I was mad at him though. He was a sociable person and the isolation of this place must be killing him. I smiled a little, getting an idea since he wasn't going to leave me alone anyway.

"Synris~" I purred, sitting on my rock, and twirling my hair around a finger.

Since being here our hair had gotten longer. His was long before and growing it out made him look more, I hate to admit, like a god risen from the abyss...mine on the other hand made me look more like a maiden. I don't have anything against maidens, it's just that I am not one and would like to not be mistaken for one.

Synris came over as soon as I called, stopping at my fluke, and waiting to hear what I wanted.

I wasn't exactly sold on my own idea but maybe if I told myself it was what I wanted, I would want it and then it wouldn't be so bad.

"Play with me~" I let go of my hair in favor of his chin, making him look up at me.

"What do you want to play?" Synris smiled back, his hands moving up my tail.

"Not-uh," I stopped his hands, not letting him reach any higher. "You have to catch me first~" I pushed his hands off entirely. "Now count to five so I have a head start."

He smiled and let me move away, waiting until I was out of sight to start counting.

"One..." I realized I really should have thought this through. "Two..." Where in a cage of fake rock and kelp do I hide? "Three~" He started singing, that meaning he was excited. "Four~" Oh carps of the open ocean this was not going smoothly at all! "Five!!" He was laughing as he started looking for me.

I had to be smart. There was only one place to hide in here and he should check that first. I hid in the kelp and waited, watching the entrance to the shallow cave. I held my breath when he went and checked it, only daring to breathe again when he went out and swam the other way. I waited a second before going in myself.

For the time being he would look around the cage and not here. I waited to make sure he wasn't near before burying myself in the sand. I only needed to hide my torso since my hair and tail blended with the sand, a nice benefit of being common. I smiled a little as I laid there to wait.

"Ayrice!" Synris was already confused as he called for me.

I had to hold my mouth to keep from laughing as he continued to call for me. It didn't take long for him to start whining. I just smiled and kept quiet. I had to really put in effort when the divers came to feed us because that was when Synris started screaming.

His scream was horrifying and heartbreaking at the same time, but I made myself stay quiet, unwilling to give in so easy. None of the fish would go near him though while he screamed, apparently, even they recognized their prince. It took him a few minutes before he quieted and let the fish eat. Honestly, the fuss he was making was funny. It was so hard not to laugh, especially since he overlooked me twice already.

That repeated both times the divers came to feed and since I stayed hidden, I didn't get to eat all day. Finally, when the light dimmed, signaling the fake night, I let out a giggle.

"Ayrice?" Synris heard me and sounded worried.

I giggled again and covered my mouth, attempting to stifle myself but it was too late. I couldn't stop now that I had started, the giggles just kept spilling out.

"Ayrice what are you laughing for!?" Synris practically growled as he grabbed me by the tail and pulled me out.

"I laid there...! The entire day!" I was laughing as I rested against him and watched the air bubbles I created float up to the surface of the water.

He glared at me as I laughed and leaned against his chest, but he gave in within a few moments and smiled as he held me.

"Dumb tail..." Synris muttered before placing a hesitant kiss just under my jaw.

"Stop it!" I pushed his head away, "That tickles," I was still smiling.

He hesitated another moment before placing a series of gentle and ticklish kisses on my jaw and neck. I started giggling again, the ticklish sensation drawing the noise from a bubbling well in my chest. I tried to squirm away, but he held me and continued to tickle me with the light kisses as we both tumbled back into the sand.

Our tails were intertwined as I laughed and playfully wrestled with him. He didn't get off me though and instead kissed me. Actually kissed me.

I hesitated a moment before kissing back. He pulled away a moment or two later but was still laying in the sand with me.

"You really are my best friend, Ayrice," He moved the hair from my face, "I don't know what I would do without you."

"I love you too," I just smiled at him, happy to see that doofy grin he gave, that one that lit his whole face up as he kissed me again.