Chapter V: Human World

As Ryma told me, I ran into the portal. At first, I was scared because everything was pitch black, but soon I landed on a roof. Where on Earth was I? Damn, I should have been more careful where I end up. In a few seconds, an older adult was outside, and she jumped near me.
"Who are you, kid? What are you doing here?" she asked me, quite calm. She looked like she was used to this kind of situation. She was just standing there, watching my every move. I thought that she might send me away, but she didn't.
"I am Yumi. I... I..." I was panicked. I didn't know if I should trust her. She smelled sweet, and her aura was pleasant. Besides, she was looking at me with calm eyes.
"You came here from Demon World. I can tell you're not human. Come on, let's talk while we're drinking some tea." She narrowed me, and she gave me her hand to follow her. For an old lady, she was so calm and friendly. And she could tell I wasn't human. She must have some psychic abilities, or so.
The lady invited me to her house, where she was drinking a cup of tea. I sat close to the door because I was feeling rather bad for bothering her. She poured tea in a bowl, and she gave the cup to me. "Thank you, ma'am," I said, watching the liquid in the cup.
"Don't mention it, dear. My name is Genkai. You know you have to register to Koenma for passing here, right?" she told me as calm as before. Who was Koenma, and how was I supposed to find him? "You can wait for one of his help here. Are you all alone?" she continued after she drank from the cup.
"Uhm... yes, I am alone. I have a brother, but he is in Demon World. I left so that he could live on with his family." I told her shy. She was reading me fast. "A hunter blinded him while he was protecting me, so I thought it's better if I run."
"He will be worried about you, you know. But, no need to worry. I will take care of you as long as you want to stay here. Of course, you can go and live in the city, but for a puppy like you would be suicide." She advised me. Maybe I should listen to her until I knew more about this world and its people.
"You... allow me to stay here? Thank you, Genkai-sama. Is it alright if I leave when I am 14 years old?" I asked her, watching her with big, curious eyes.
Genkai-sama laughed at me. I was probably looking like a little child who just got candy from his parents. The old lady sure looked more hostile than she was in reality. She showed me the house and gave me a huge room to stay in. It was a bit more than I wanted, but I couldn't say no to her.
Soon after, she left me alone in the vast room that had only a small tea table and a futon, a young girl with an unnatural hair color showed in the door. She grinned at me as she walked into the room. That pink kimono of hers was in perfect harmony with her blue hair and her personality. Was she supposed to be one of the Spirit World register girl? She wasn't looking anyway nearly as severe.
"Hello, lost puppy. My name is Botan, and I'm here to register you for the system. You probably don't know exactly how this world works, so please listen to me before you get to sign the papers. I can see you are a nice young girl, so I am sure you will respect all the rules here. First of all, you can't, under any circumstances, kill humans. This is their world, so they are the rulers, do to say. Even if they laugh at you, you can't hurt them. Secondly, you will have to live here as a human. Don't use your demonic energy, only in exceptional cases, to save your life. Thirdly, you will have to go to school, like any other human. This means Genkai-sama will be your tutor for a while so that you can sign in. You can choose your school freely, but be careful, not all the schools are the same. Choose a nice one.

Last but not least, welcome on Earth, dear. If you follow the simple rules I just told you, you'll be just fine here. Now, if you could just sign here, we're done." The blue-haired girl showed me where to sign on a paper. Probably on that paper were the rules she told me. On a better look at this joyful person in front of me, she was pretty young. I gave her around 16, maybe 17. Somehow, she felt like she was older than I thought. Anyway, she was acting like a teenager.
My signature was nothing complicated, just my last name and a small butterfly on the 'y.' The butterfly was the first ability I learned from Ryma. It's a healing butterfly, a kiss on the injured zone activates that. I tried this with my brother too, but it didn't work. I couldn't clear that damn curse.
"What happens if I don't follow one of the rules? Like the second one or the third. I can't just appear in one class, and they'll accept me as their equal and college, right? Besides, I am more of a lonelier. I don't like being surrounded by many persons." I asked before she could leave the room. A moment later, Botan turned around on her ankles, and she smiled. Her smile wasn't as idiotic as before.
"Sweetie, it's better to socialize, you know? I know many humans don't deserve attention, but some of them are nice, like Genkai. She is a psychic. She can feel energies, and she can tell if someone is talented or not. And you, dear, are a unique demon. Your ice powers are rare. I know much about your home realm, but I haven't read much about ice demons. If some bad humans find out about you and your healing powers, well, some of them are obsessed with demons, and they want them as a toy. Try to find a friend or more. They'll help you." The female embraced me, and she ran through the door. She looked worried about me. Were the humans that bad?
I don't want to make human friends, they don't seem friendly, and I'm sure the kids are bad, just like the young demons. I could hear them playing somewhere, and a bunch of them were bullying another one. How mean and pointless. If I could hide my demon side, I would've gone and kicked their asses, but I still can't leave the perimeter of the house. The most annoying part was that I had to go and live with those good-for-nothing humans. Being with Genkai was just right, but living among humans? Those damn gods were kidding, right? Humans and demons never got along. And they forced me to live alongside them; Just great.
Well, because I had to attend a high school, I went with Genkai in town for that. We searched for one that I would like until I found one that was for me - a school that had a special aura. I felt another energy that wasn't human there.