Chapter 2

Dawn walked begrudgingly into the living room. The neighbours spread out like ornaments on the coach eating and laughing simultaneously, if one of them was to choke the laughing would probably continue until the ambulance came.
'You can't say hello' the woman with the ginger hair pierced Dawn with her eyes.
She looked back and spat out 'hello' while staring into space
'Look here's Winifred! And there's Vera she's been to Barbados! Look at that tan! Oh and this is Penelope she just moved in she's at 12 now!' Her mother babbled. While her mother was introducing these people they wasn't looking or paying attention. They just looked on. Eating and laughing. She followed her mother to the kitchen and started looking at the sausages. They both stared at them.

'Well, what do you think?' Her mother looked at the sausages. They were rather pathetic looking with the sticks stuck into them and the cheese cut in such big chunks.
'Do you want me to flatter you?' She said.
'No'
'I think they look terrible' she said.
'Oh okay, no sausages then' she replied. Dawn looked at her mother and thought about the expression on her face. She didn't look happy, but she didn't look sad either. She wondered if she had hurt her feelings. Dawn picked up a sausage and took it with her. She was going to eat in in her room when she was stopped at the door.
'Hey Dawn, right?' He queried. Dawn looked at the cocktail sausage then back at him.
'yes, it's Dawn' she replied.
'How are you?' He asked. It was Tremaine. Dawn stared at him and told him she was fine. They had a small chat or rather catch up about what they had been doing with their lives to which Dawn didn't know how or what to tell him. He updated her on the inner workings of his life and she continued to stare at the sausage. It was then she decided to walk away from him.
"Nice talking-" he managed before the door slammed in his face.

Dawn strolled back to her room silently congratulating herself with her expedition. She walked into her room the door slamming behind her. Dawns room was blue and white with freckled wallpaper. Her wardrobe was brown(the kind of brown you would find at your not so hip old relatives house), she had a double bed with grey satin sheets and four throw pillows, a glass cabinet for her collection of crystallised clay pots that she had collected from the places she had went. She also had a ottoman table it was cream coloured. Her desk was on the far side of her room as she walked over to it, she sat at her table and opened her laptop. She opened it staring into the black blank space that was the screen and switched on the button. The windows noise rang in her ears as she looked and waited. She put the cocktail sausage in her mouth.

Then she started typing, she was working on her dissertation. It was for a course she had taken up in her spare time in order to stimulate herself but all it seemed to do was bore her. As she typed she thought about everything else, but her assignment. Her mind continued to wander. She looked at the words she was writing her eyes focusing and un-focusing. She stared out the window behind her desk into the field. It was a large open space, if you had a caravan you could go camping there. Dawn has never been camping before, or in a caravan. On her way to work she would encounter the travellers selling their flowers. She never met anyone who actually bought one. However they were making their money it was enough for them to live. She had never met a complaining caravan person. That being said she had never truly spoken to one. Sometimes they would settle there in the field. She liked when they were behind her house, her Mum was convinced that most of them were in fact thieves. It was nothing like that in Dawn's eyes. She would watch them, and sometimes when the night moved in they would have campfires which she wanted to be a part of. They were really large, reminding her of her neighbours bonfires on Guy Fawkes when she used to live in the north. There's one woman that she would notice out of all of them, her hair was raven , she had maracas and a hair tie as red as fresh blood. She was the only black traveller Dawn had ever seen. The moment she had stepped foot in that house and the first time she had seen that traveller was peculiar. She stamped and danced resembling a drunk flamingo. She would dance with this small man. From a distance in comparison to him she could tell he was a lot smaller. He carried a tambourine.

Dawn looked back at the laptop. It was 6pm, she has been there for two hours and had only managed to come up with 100 more words for her dissertation. Dawn shut her laptop and decided to lie down on her bed. The sheets felt cool against her skin and she buried her face into her pillow. She smiled and caressed the pillow with her face once more before dropping off. Just then there was a knock on the door. Dawn stared into her freckled wallpaper.