Chapter 13

The next morning, everyone woke up in the late morning. When I left my room, only a few boys were stirring. The Gladers were piled all over each other on the first floor of the Homestead, arms and legs tangled haphazardly. I tip-toed across the Homestead floor, trying to avoid stepping on someone's limb or a creaky board. 

        I went to my tree first, the tree that had been here the entire time I was in the Glade. This tree was the first thing that I had sought comfort in. Even if I cherished the towering oak, I had a feeling in my gut that I wouldn't be seeing it any longer, soon. 

        When I reached the top, I poked my head out of the branches to survey the damage wreaked by the grievers. My jaw clenched with dismay as I saw the destroyed front of the Homestead. Other buildings were smashed, the wooden pieces littered across the Glade floor. In the distance, smoke trailed up into the sky from the Bloodhouse. 

        A shout of alarm caught my attention, and I quickly climbed down. When I jogged over to see what was the matter, I was shocked to see the girl who had come up from the Box unconcious, standing outside of the Homestead. 

        When I neared her, she turned to see me and I saw her face soften. 

        "Thank god. I thought I was the only girl here," She said, exaserbated. I saw Newt and Thomas appear behind her from the door of the Homstead, and expression changed to one of shock when she saw Thomas. 

        "Tom," She said, glancing from me to Thomas. "How do I know you? Where am I?" 

        Thomas shook his head, his expression blank. 

        "I don't know how you know me." He admitted. 

        "This is the Glade," Newt filled in, and he lead her off to the Doors, to explain. 

        I went over to Thomas, and bumped my shoulder with his. He was watching her with a type of entranced stare and I could feel my stomach clench with jealousy. 

        "Do you think you knew her before all of this?"

        "I don't have any idea." Thomas said, running a hand through his hair. 

       "Thalia!" I heard someone call my name, and I turned to see Minho motioning for me to go to him. I followed, confused. 

        I raised my eyebrows towards him when I reached him, and Minho gestured to the Map Room. 

        "Grab what you'll need. We're going to see if theres anything different with the Maze. Maybe something's going to lead us out." 

        I nodded, before grabbing my pack. Thomas ventured over and after Minho agreed to let him go, we took off into the Maze. 

        Only the three of us had the courage to go and the other runners stayed behind, afraid, and helped the Gladers try to clean up the dishevled Glade. 

        We ran for hours, searching for anything out of the ordinary, anything that could help us escape. There was nothing. The maze was like it had been the entirety of the two years we had been stuck here. It was disheartening, to say the least. 

        Near the Cliff we discovered a bloody scrap of material, and I could barely contain my gag reflex as Minho tossed it over the Cliff, quickly wiping his fingers on his trousers to get any dirt off. 

        Considering the horrific events of last night, it wasn't surprising that all Minho, Thomas, and I wanted to do was go back home, or as much of a home the Glade provided.