Chapter 17: Witnessing Her Joy

“I love these!” Madison squeals with glee. 

The furniture shop keeper eyes Madison and Ellis with amusement.

“Yeah?” Ellis asks and he watches Madison nod her head furiously. 

Her defining red hair is tucked up underneath one of his cowboy hats, and she struggles to keep his loose-fitting clothes up on her body. The trip to town required a disguise, or so Madison insisted. When she told him she didn’t want to risk anyone recognizing her, Ellis had agreed. 

He knew by anyone, she meant her husband. They have both been avoiding any conversations that relate to her marriage or even the longevity of their own budding relationship. He knows that will be a bridge to cross one day, but for now he just wants to enjoy their uninterrupted happiness.

“We will take these two, Mr. Dawson.” Ellis nods toward the two rocking chairs that Madison hasn’t strayed from since they entered the shop. The two wooden rockers both feature an intricate floral design that has been carved into the headrests. They probably wouldn’t have been Ellis’ first choice, but he simply finds that Madison's happiness is undeniable. 

Her hands clasp together in joy and she smiles big as she follows the shop keep out, and Ellis trails behind her with a smile all his own. 

Witnessing her joy is enough to make his entire day. His entire life.

-Five hours later-

Madison sits on her hind end, flustered, dirt-covered, and growing more agitated each second Ellis stands there laughing instead of helping her. 

He can’t help the chuckle that bubbles up out of his throat as he looks at her. The profuse frown on her pretty face is framed by wisps of her wild hair. Her arms fold across her chest as she stretches her legs out in front of her on the ground.

“Not funny, Ellis.”

“Try again.” He prompts her with a sly smile. 

She huffs as she takes a forlorned look over at the ax sitting in the woodpile. “No. I think I’ve helped you enough around here.”

“Aw, don’t be that way.” Ellis crouches so that they are eye level. He extends a palm out towards her. “Come on.”

Madison lets out a sigh and gives Ellis an annoyed look through her eyelashes, but she takes his hand and lets him pull her to her feet. She grabs a hold of the ax handle once again and attempts to pry it from its place stuck deep in a chunk of maple. As she expected, it doesn’t budge.

“Ellis Combs, this ax hasn’t been moved from this wood pile since winter! Why on earth are you having me do this? It is too warm for a fire right now, anyway.” Her scolding voice only makes another chuckle rise out of Ellis.

He moves to stand behind her and circles his arms around her waist before allowing his hands to rest on top of hers on the ax. She can feel his breath against the side of her neck. “Let me help,” he says.

Now I understand.” Madison wants to roll her eyes, but a smile lights her face up instead.

They dislodge the ax with ease together, though she knows Ellis is contributing most of the elbow grease. She moves to the side and he continues to chop up several pieces of firewood, while she looks at him confusedly. 

“Not for the fireplace.” Ellis gives her a grin to go along with his vague explanation. 

Madison narrows her eyes. “What are you up to, Ellis?”

He gathers up the chopped wood from the pile and begins walking back towards the cabin. “You’ll see. Let’s go.”

The sun is going down, and the farm is coated in low evening light. The late spring air is comfortable for a night outside, and as the cabin comes into view Madison starts to see the evening Ellis has prepared for them.