Chapter 25: Natural

It is all marital bliss until you have to do something you don’t want to do, and Peaches needs new horse shoes.

Ellis doesn’t particularly care for the timid mare, but Madison loves her so he tries his best to see her appeal. The horse eyes him warily as he approaches the barn.

Peaches is partly to blame for Madison becoming lost in the woods, which ultimately led to him meeting her, so Ellis gives the mare a gentle pat of gratitude on the top of her head.

“You gonna let me take you to town for some new shoes, or will you run off?” He asks and the horse stares at him blankly. He sighs and gets up into the saddle as tenderly as he can manage.

“Love you!” Madison hollers to him from the porch. Her hands are full of potatoes and her dress is all dirty from collecting them up from the field all morning.

“Love you,” he says back with a small smile, forgetting why he was frustrated to begin with.

“I’m making baked potatoes tonight. Don’t miss it!” 

“Don’t worry, I’ll be home soon!” He yells to her as he and Peaches head down the mountain towards town. Madison has become quite the cook since moving in with Ellis, and that is most definitely due to her using and adapting his own recipes. She seems to enjoy it now that her cornbread doesn't burn quite as often. 

Once new horse shoes for Peaches are purchased in town, Ellis lets Mr. Cody at the feed store put them on her. The horse looks highly uncomfortable, and he almost feels sorry for her, until she gets a carrot for her troubles. 

When they’re finished at the feed store, Ellis and Peaches take a final stroll through town before heading back in the direction of the cabin. A few folks walk down the street and pop in and out of shops, but the town is relatively empty.

Ellis sees the girl before she sees him.

Gracie Williams’ pretty face is scrunched up into a dismal frown as she sits on the street by the sheriff’s station. She fiddles with the ruffles on her wrinkled dress and her dark hair falls around her face as she looks down at her feet.

Ellis is curious, though he maybe shouldn’t be. She is not his responsibility. But why is she sitting all alone out here?

He ties Peaches up to a post and walks up to the girl quietly. As much as he hates making small talk, he really hates to see her sitting here alone and so sad-looking.

“Hi there,” he says, crouching to bring him closer to her eye level.

“Hi,” she squints up at him, with the shadow of a smile coming to her lips as she recognizes him.

“Remember me?”

She nods.

“I’m Ellis,” he says and takes a seat next to her.

“I’m Gracie,” the girl says and finally gives him a true grin. “I like your horse.”

“Thank you. Her name is Peaches. She belongs to my wife.”

“The pretty lady? I love her hair,” Gracie smiles wistfully as she remembers Madison.

Ellis smiles too, but looking at Gracie makes him feel heartbroken all over again. Her soft face and friendly attitude work together to show off a striking combination of features from both of her parents. She seems so grown up already, even though he knows she’s still just a child.

“What’re you doing out here all by yourself?”

Gracie shrugs and whispers, “They are fighting about me again.” She looks back down at her shoes.