Chapter 23: There's A Lot of Ungodly Things in the World

The preacher man frowns as he delivers the farewell sermon underneath a gloomy overcast sky. The sloping graveyard at Tarhelia Cemetery holds many graying tombstones, and Daniel and Sarah Williams are just the latest additions. 

A variety of colorful asters and marigolds decorate the two oak caskets, but the flowers’ attempt at creating a cheerful atmosphere is unappreciated.

Madison desperately doesn’t want to be here. In fact, she probably shouldn’t be here, but Ellis insisted. Though they’re standing near the back of the mourning crowd, the excessive staring has not gone unnoticed by Madison. 

In small communities, word travels quick. It is no secret that the new blacksmith killed Daniel and Sarah, and it was also no secret that he is now dead himself. The details surrounding both incidents are a little skewed, but the people certainly know Madison was involved somehow. That much is evident by the looks she and Ellis keep receiving.

Ellis doesn’t seem to mind, though. His grip on her hand is tight as he observes the funeral. 

“Daniel and Sarah were both good people. This community will suffer from this tragic loss, but we will always remember what dandy folks they were. May God bless their souls, and may they rest in peace.”

The sheriff and several of his deputies help lower the two caskets into the ground when the preacher is finished.

Daniel and Sarah finally have a proper, decent burial and Ellis is thankful for that, as painful as it is to watch.

A pretty, dark-haired little girl drops two roses into the ground, one for each of her parents. The precious child is confused, still too young to recognize the true tragedy of her parents’ passing, but she does know that they’re not here. She sniffles and wipes her nose on the back of her hand. When she doesn’t move from the two graves, the sheriff’s wife walks up to take her hand and pull her gently back into the crowd.

Madison watches Gracie sorrowfully. It has been days since she killed Abner and found out about Daniel and Sarah, but her guilt hasn’t lessened. This little girl’s life is forever changed because of her heartless husband. Even poor Ellis and Gal had to suffer because of her, though neither of them are complaining types.

As the mourning crowd begins to disperse, Sheriff Smith makes his way towards Ellis. With a tip of his hat, he says, “Thank you, Ellis. Without you, these two wouldn’t have gotten a proper funeral.”

Instead of saying, “Actually, if you would’ve listened to Sarah to begin with, we would only be having a funeral for one”, Ellis bites his tongue. He just nods at the sheriff, and pulls Madison’s hand to lead her away from the graveyard. 

“Hey, wait a second!” A little voice stops Ellis and Madison in their tracks. When they turn around, the dark-haired girl gives them both a small smile as she approaches. The sheriff’s wife watches with a concerned look, but she doesn’t interfere. 

“I remember you!” The girl grins shyly up at Ellis. His mouth drops open, but no words come out. 

“The other day, don’t you remember?” She prods with a slight frown, thinking he’s forgotten seeing her at the sheriff’s station already.

He just nods. He sees both Daniel and Sarah in the girl so clearly that looking at her almost hurts.

“You’re pretty,” Gracie says to Madison and her heart nearly stops.

“You are too,” Madison tries to smile, but it’s proving difficult. This little girl has no idea who she is - has no idea that she is the reason for the rage that ultimately killed her parents.