Hunting Detectives

Once we had finished lunch we got in Greg's car. We'd got a few strange looks from some people, probably because it was a car with P O L I C E written on the side, perhaps indicating to them I was being arrested. I just smiled at them sarcastically. People are so blank and idiotic these days, never thinking in to things.

He held open my door for me and then got in the driver's side.

"So, where to?" He asked.

"I don't know, haven't you got a job to get to?" I joked.

I smiled with him. He was like my dad, when I was growing up he was in a relationship with my mother for around 6 years. They were engaged until he found out my mother was cheating. It broke him, it really did. My real father left us when I was only about 2 and my mother was upset for a such long time, then Greg came and he made her happier for a while.

I kept in touch with Greg, after my mum left me with him for a few months when she went to prison for drug use. He was basically my real dad now. By the time I was 15 she got out again and just left us without a trace.

His smile broke me from my thoughts. I realised I had been staring at him for a few minutes, thinking about my past.

"Well, usually yes. But I've taken the day off to spend some time with you." He said.

"You didn't have to do that," I paused, "Can you even do that?"

"Of course. I don't take time off often so I'm sure it's fine," he smirked then continued, "I am Detective Inspector Lestrade after all."

"Is that meant to be impressive?" I laughed.

"Yes, it is. Would you like to come to the Yard and meet some of my collegues then?"

"Yeah, that'd be great."

"Just don't talk to Anderson if you don't want to be bombarded by stupidity." Greg laughed.

"How will I know who Anderson is?"

"Oh you'll know." He said, still laughing at the thought.

We arrived outside Scotland Yard. Once again, Greg opened my door for me. We walked in and went in to a lift. He pressed the button for the 4th floor and waited.

"I forgot to ask, where are you staying now?" He said questioningly.

"Oh, I hadn't thought about that yet. Probably a hotel." I replied.

"You can stay at my house if you'd like, there's a spare room."

"Yeah, that'd be good, thanks."

The elevator pinged and the doors opened. It was a big open room packed with identical desks, filled with paperwork and busybody police. Some turned around to find out who came in. I instantly felt insecure with them staring at me. Greg noticed my reaction and said, "It's okay." He gave me a reassuring smile and walked in to a big office at the side of the room. "Come on."

He pushed open the door and went to sit down, pulling out a chair for me too.

"So, is your stuff still in storage?" He said, trying to make conversation as we'd already spoken about the main subjects back in the restaurant.

"Yep." I said, popping the "p", "I'm going to rent out a flat before I collect it back."

"Right. You got a job yet?"

"Well considering I've been away for a year, I was replaced at the hospital and apparently they don't need anyone else yet. They said I'd be contacted when needed, so I quit.", I thought for a few seconds, "I might try for job as a GP or something now."