Chapter 7

After eating, I walked over to my house and asked my mom if I could borrow her car. She said yes and I texted Jack to meet me outside in a bit.

After about 5 minutes, Jack came outside and hopped in the car. "What's going on? ", he asked. " We haven't had time to hang out together lately, so I figured I would treat you to a day out." I smiled and started up the car.

We drove for about 30 minutes until we pulled into a parking lot for a small traveling carnival. We got of the car and Jack took a deep breath in. "You alright? "I asked.

" Yeah, I just haven't been to one of these since I was a kid. The roller coasters would always scare me for some reason, and my siblings teased me about it."

I chuckled. "Well maybe today you can face your fears. " I grabbed his hand and dragged him over to a short line. I payed for 2 tickets and we got in the seats, strapping ourselves in.

The worker started the ride up, and I looked over at Jack. He was holding his breath, and his face was turning red. He caught a glimpse of me looking at him and he finally breathed out. "Sorry, I guess I forgot to breathe."

We started laughing together when all of a sudden, the ride took off. It wasn't that bad,  considering it was a carnival ride, but Jack still looked scared to death. He screamed all throughout the ride.

The ride came to a stop and Jack look terrified. I undid out straps and helped him out. "Hey sorry, Ill buy you some food for your troubles." I walked over to a snack stand and bought two sticks of cotton candy.

I walked back over to Jack and handed him his dessert. He still wasn't talking so I dragged bin over to the car and sat him down. I turned on the engine, and the sound of it woke him out of his trance.

Jack looked down at his hand and started eating his cotton candy. Food always made him happier. I drove back to his house  and we went inside. He offered to turn a movie on so we sat down and watched it. One movie turned into four, and before I knew it, it was dark out.

Jack got up and stretched, walking up to the girl's room and gesturing for me to follow. He went to their room and opened a window that led to the roof. We climbed onto the roof and sat down, looking at the stars.

He turned to me, "the sky is so clear tonight." "Yeah,  you can see every star and some planets. ", I responded.

We sat in silence for a bit,  it sometimes I swear I could see Jack moving closer out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly, I saw him closing his eyes and leaning in, like he wanted to kiss me.

It felt awkward, but I didn't want to leave him there, so I kissed him back. It was nice, but I knew it was wrong. All I could think about was Emily. He pulled away first, his face burning red. " I think...I should go home. ", I said while getting up.

Jack didn't say anything, just slightly smiled.

As I was walking toward the front door, I saw Emily pull into the driveway. I tried to avoid her , considering that whole situation was awkward enough, but she jogged to me and gave me a hug. I hugged her back and then quickly pulled away, speed walking to my car. I could see her standing there, confused, as I drove off.