-28-

"The ground is somewhat damp around here, and I don't think it's just from the rain,"  I muse, slowly spinning in circles, trying to see where the dampness continues and where it starts to dry out.  That should help us figure out where to travel first.  Then I spot a path curving around the side of our hollow.  The ground is dark with moisture and ever so slightly begins to slope downward.  There has to be a flow of water somewhere down there.  "Come on.  This way."

Cas stays glued to my side as we carefully traverse the uneven terrain.  It's not nearly as sweltering as it was yesterday, but the dense humidity still clings to me, still makes beads of sweat dot my hairline as we trek along the forest floor.  It's been a few days since I've been outside the hollow.  The coolness of the rocks and the curtain of vines blocked out most of the intolerable heat, but now we're right back in the thick of it.  Hopefully we'll find water soon.  I already miss the endurable temperature of our hideout.

There aren't any signs of another tribute anywhere.  The earth looks undisturbed.  No footprints, turned up leaves or twigs, anything.  No abandoned food wrappers.  No torn pieces of clothing.  No blood or weapons.  All excellent and reassuring indications.  We might be the only ones to have traveled through this entire area.  That should certainly make completing our mission easier, just as long as we stick to this region.

The ground suddenly cuts off, forming a ridge.  I stumble over my feet and very nearly fall, but it's not a steep drop.  Just a few inches. I manage to regain my balance on the lower level of terrain before my face hits the dirt, and I can't help but chuckle at my clumsiness.

"Watch your step,"  I say as Cas approaches the little ridge.  "The ground is tricky around here."

I hold my hand out for him to grab onto.  He takes it without hesitation, his fingers clamped around my palm as he hops off the ridge and onto the lower ground with me.  His touch lingers for a moment longer before he lets go of my hand.

An endearing smile lights up his face.  "Aren't you a gentleman,"  he teases.

The mirthful shimmer in his eyes makes butterflies erupt in my stomach.  "Just looking out for my boyfriend,"  I say, reaching out to lightly poke his arm, then his ribs.  He retaliates with a yelp of surprise and amusement and gives me a lighthearted push.  A soft shade of pink tints his cheeks as his shy smile widens, and we continue our journey.

The earth keeps sloping downward at a slight, almost indiscernible angle.  The soil is still damp, though, and it's only getting darker and darker the farther we walk.  It's possible that a stream flowed through here at some point, so maybe at the bottom, there will be a pond or something else of the like.  That makes sense, right?  Water can't flow upwards.  There has to be something at the base of this slope.

The trees are getting closer together.  The foliage is thickening.  I use the sword to slash away the overgrown ferns, the plants that might cut or scratch us if we're not careful.  It's even hotter in this section of the rainforest, no doubt due to the density of the trees and shrubs, but still, we keep pushing forward.  It's too late to turn back now.

It isn't long before Cas starts trailing behind, slowing his pace.  I turn around to look at him, to make sure he's okay, but I'm not paying attention to where I'm walking anymore.  "How are you holding up, Cas?"  I ask, shuffling backwards as cautiously as I can.  "You look a little gl—"

I don't get a chance to finish my sentence.  I walk right into a big bulky spider web strung up between two trees, and it envelops my entire body in a hug I've never wanted.

I don't think I've ever been more panicked, and that's saying something.  Pure terror consumes me as the spindly web attaches itself to every part of me.  I frantically try to swat it off, a chain of alarmed hollers slipping past my lips, but it won't come off.  None of it will.  It's like it's stuck, welded onto my clothes, and that only makes me want to flail my limbs harder.