2. weddings

Liliana

"Oh no." Jasmine sighed, catching my attention. She was looking at the table list to see where we were going to sit on this wondrous day.

My cousin, Heather, was getting married. Her husband was a roadie for bands which she seemed to complain about more than boast about. They seemed in love and she hired my shop to do the flowers so I guess I was grateful for her.

"Ana, we're on different tables." Jasmine confessed. My mouth fell open as I pushed her to the side to see for myself.

"That bitch! She's put me on the singles table!" I grunted in frustration. I didn't know anyone on there and it was probably all the people she didn't know and didn't come with a guest.

"It'll be fine. You're so easy to get on with you'll make friends or maybe find a lovely single man." Jasmine tried to cheer me up but I just shrugged her off.

"I'll bring you over a bottle of champers." Andy, her boyfriend, nudged me to try and add to the pity party.

"Bring 5."

I muttered a bunch of anxious curse words as I walked over to my table. I loved my cousin but putting me on the singles table and not with my family was not appreciated.

"Funny seeing you here." A voice snapped me out of my anxious state. Looking up, it was a familiar face that I truly thought I'd never see again.

"Oh hello!" I replied a bit too enthusiastically. I think I was just grateful to see a friendly face even if I had only seen that face once before.

He sat down next to me, repositioning his suit which I had only just taken a good look at him. It was subtle but my god did he look good. He wore an all black suit with a black shirt underneath, the buttons were only done half way to reveal his chest. Around his neck was a simple cross necklace. His hair was just as curly but significantly longer.

"Didn't think I'd be seeing you at the singles table considering what you were doing the last time I saw you." I turned to face him considering the man sat the other side of me had been staring at my boobs since I had sat down.

"Oh the roses." He chuckled, a hand reaching behind his neck to scratch his head of curls awkwardly.

"Didn't work out?" I scrunched my face up. His response was stressed looking face which indicated to me that he didn't want to talk about it. "Oh, sorry."

"No, no. It's fine. As you can guess, it didn't work out and now I'm at a wedding celebrating love." He sighed. I winced, that sounded rough.

"Yikes. Bride or groom?" I wondered. Surely Heather would've boasted tremendously about having such a famous star coming to her wedding.

"Groom. Old friends. To be honest I wasn't gonna come but my whole thing recently has been about pushing myself out of my comfort zone so here we are." He shrugged, looking very much like he regretted forcing himself into this whole thing.

"Is that something you do a lot?"

"What?"

"Periodically have a 'thing' you do?" It seemed fascinating to be honest. He had entered into this thing despite not wanting to and the only person in his way was himself.

"Keeps life interesting. I've been through juice cleanses, all kinds of yoga, poetry, group therapy, love. Some stick and some don't." He shrugged as if it was no big deal.

"Love is something you do as a 'thing' for a period of time?" I almost burst, it sounded completely ridiculous. He let out a chuckle.

"Yes. Love was my 'thing' when I met you actually." He paused, staring into my eyes for a quick moment before coughing and continuing. "All I wanted back then was to be in love."