Lonely

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or the art. All the characters are the property of Haruichi Furudate. All the art is the property of the various artists. Author-chan out!

Oikawa's POV

I miss Iwa-chan, Tooru thought. Sure, he'd only been gone for a few days, but the merman still missed him. It's lonely without him.

If he was still here, I'd be meeting him on the beach or the dock right now. We'd have a splash fight. We'd play on the beach, and he would surf. I would try to swim along. We'd trade secrets about the ocean. Then we'd eat lunch, and I'd bring him the seaweed salad I just learned how to make, or he'd bring me human food. I miss milk bread.

Oikawa sighed sadly. He swam to the dock, even though it was morning. Empty.

The brunette sank under the waves. Guess I'll go find something else to do, he thought morosely.

Days went by, then weeks. Tooru checked the dock every night at sunset religiously, always hoping to see his boyfriend waiting there. But he was always disappointed.

Time seems so long without Iwa-chan, he mused. When he was around, it was like the days flew by. Now they're long and empty. I swear time passes more slowly now.

A month crept by this way. One day, Oikawa was swimming with some dolphins when a small ship came by. He vanished underwater silently just to be safe, but inside he was doing flips with excitement.

Humans! The boat looks like it's headed for Seijoh Island! It has to be Iwa-chan! No one else ever comes out here!

He swam like he was being chased by a shark for Seijoh Island. He nearly crashed into the dock. He swam under the wooden planks, concealed from view. He waited eagerly for the ship to arrive.

When it did, five voices became audible over the sounds of the sea.

"HEY HEY HEY! We're here!" One male voice yelled energetically.

"Thank Asahi," a salty speaker said. "I thought we'd never make it."

"Tsukki! Be nice!" Yamaguchi chided him.

"This is a great vacation spot!" The loud male continued, unfazed by the captain and first mate's remarks.

"Bokuto-san, we could never afford it and you know it," a softer voice said.

"AKAASHI! We might someday!" Bokuto argued.

"Someday in the very, very distant future," a sly voice said.

"Hey! I'm being positive!" Bokuto complained.

"We're being realistic," Akaashi informed him.

The sly voice spoke again. "Kenma, come on, get off your PSP. We have to go clean the cabin and restock it, remember?"

"Fine, Kuroo, I'm coming," Kenma replied.

Oikawa heard footsteps and thuds. His heart sank. Not Iwa-chan. They must be the hired people who get the cabin ready for people to come here on vacation, like Iwa-chan did.

His hopes, which were raised so high, sank faster than a falling anchor. He started to cry silently. I was so sure it was Iwa-chan! Why couldn't it be him? Why did it have to be some cleaning crew?

He sank down, deep into the inscrutable Caribbean sea. The human voices faded. He began to wail. "Iwa-chan! I was so sure it was you! I miss you so much!" He called into the deep, dark sea that was so much colder now. He sobbed like his world had ended. Fish swam up to him, rubbing his hands comfortingly. He petted them, crying.