All of Me

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or the art. All the characters are the property of Haruichi Furudate. All the art is the property of the various artists. The song, "All of Me," is the property of John Legend. Author-chan out!

Music began to play.

That was when Tooru heard something he thought he would never hear. 

What would I do without your smart mouth?
Drawing me in and you kicking me out
You've got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down
What's going on in that beautiful mind
I'm on your magical mystery ride
And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me, but I'll be alright

My head's under water
But I'm breathing fine
You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning

'Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, oh oh

How many times do I have to tell you
Even when you're crying you're beautiful too
The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood
You're my downfall, you're my muse
My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues
I can't stop singing, it's ringing, in my head for you

My head's under water
But I'm breathing fine
You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning

'Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, oh oh

Give me all of you
Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts
Risking it all, though it's hard

'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
'Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you

I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, oh oh

Oikawa cried.

The singer's voice was like none he'd ever heard before. Low and rough but deep and melodious, it sent shivers up his spine.

Gentle fingers undid the blindfold. He gasped when he saw the scene in front of him.

They were in a flat area between the sandy dunes. Wind rustled the sand. The calls of seabirds and the sounds of the waves provided a picturesque background. He was sitting on a chair in front of a circle of candles. Piles of presents sat beside his chair. In the center of the circle was Iwaizumi Hajime. Kneeling. He held a small box in his hand. Inside was a ocean foam colored ring.

"Oikawa Tooru. From the moment we met, you drove me crazy. Calling me Iwa-chan, never shutting up about aliens, you have a trashy personality. You almost drowned me at one point.” He chuckled ruefully. The mere sound of his voice was enough to give Oikawa a thrill. He could listen to it all day.

“And that's what I love about you. All of your perfect imperfections. My head's underwater, but I'm breathing fine because of your kisses. You healed me after the shark attack. I would have died if you hadn’t been there. And when I left, it was all I could do to stop myself from begging you to stay. Leaving you tore me apart.” He took a deep breath. A deep, painless, perfect breath.

“We are very different beings, you and I. You’re a merman, I’m a human. But I love you with all of me. You are my end and my beginning. And even though no one will ever join our hands in official marriage, I don’t care. I love you. So will you put your cards on the table for me? Will you promise to spend the rest of your life with me? Will you promise to wait for me, always? Oikawa Tooru, will you take me as your fiance?”

Tooru was in shock.

“Uh- I- you can talk!” He stammered.

“Not the response I was looking for,” he chuckled nervously.

“I- well- you- yes! Yes, I accept! I love you, Iwa-chan! Yes!” He was full on sobbing now. He leaned forward to accept the ring. Hajime put it on his finger, face full of love.

Oikawa gestured around them. “What-what is all this?!”

Iwaizumi laughed. “My peace offering for being gone so long. Come on, open your gifts.” Tooru unwrapped the presents. He had bought him milk bread, ice cream, cookies, alien books, and astronomy magazines.

“Iwa-chan, what happened to you? Your voice…”

“A very painful surgery and three months of speech therapy,” the spiky haired male explained. “It’ll never sound exactly the same again. But I can talk, and that’s good enough for me. I learned sign language too.” Oikawa just stared at him. “What?” Iwaizumi asked.

“I love it,” he said. “I didn’t think I’d ever get to hear you again. Your song… It was beautiful. I’ve never heard you sing before.”

Hajime smiled warmly. “After the surgery, before I knew if it worked or not, I swore I would sing to you if I ever spoke again.”

“Why didn’t you tell me immediately? I thought it didn’t work! I still don't know why my healing didn't work,” he mumbled that last part.

“It's okay, Oikawa. It was probably because I don't have gills, unlike merpeople, so the song couldn't work on me. And yes, I know what you thought. I wanted to make a perfect surprise for you,” the surfer said.

“Well, it was certainly a surprise,” Tooru huffed, but even he couldn’t pretend to be sulky when he was this happy. A wide smile split his face. “Well, what are you waiting for? Kiss me!” He demanded. Hajime laughed at his childish fiance and kissed him. As always, he tasted like the warm Caribbean sea.

The surfer didn’t pull away for a long time, and neither did Tooru.

When they did, Iwaizumi looked Oikawa deep in the eyes. “You do realize we can never tell anyone about our engagement,” he said softly.

He nodded sadly. “Yes. But we’ll know. Like you said, we’re very different. And that brings challenges that we didn’t expect, from me almost drowning you by accident to sailors kidnapping me to shark attacks. But we love each other, and that’s all that matters.”

“We’ll get through every challenge together,” Iwaizumi agreed.

They cupped each other’s faces affectionately.

"I love you," the human said.

"I love you too," the merman replied.