End of the world

They were all gone. Everybody. 

He stumbled through the ruins of buildings, feeling bile rise in his throat at the gruesome scene. Bodies lay scattered everywhere, eyes blank and lifeless, some gruesomely dismembered, some looking as if they were sleeping. Everywhere He looked, rubble and crumbled stone lay. Buildings, or what remained of them, burned weakly. A single black raven called out weakly, and He turned to look at it. 

The bird met His eyes and called out again, in terror. It had several sharp spines buried in its wings, and one of its legs was missing. 

He stared at the bird, and it stared back. They remained in that solemn staring contestuntil the bird wobbled slightly and toppled over, eyes glassing over. 

He tried to supress the tears growing in his eyes. Eyes as yellow as the sun. The sun. He looked up. 

The sun was still there. One normal thing in this apocalyptic burning world. He sighed, sitting down and wincing as he shifted his broken arm. 

"Why?" He asked, after a moment of silence. His voice cracked, and it was like a dam broke behind His eyes. Tears spilled out of His eyes and He buried His head in His hands. 

"WHY?" He shouted, lifting His head and hoping that someone, anyone, would answer. "WHY?!" He screamed again, now grasping at straws. If there was a God up there, would They answer Him? 

He sniffled, wiping His tears away and choking back a sob. Was there a God? Apparently not, He thought. 

He blinked a little to clear His vision, and stared around at the destruction. "What did I do?" He whispered weakly, desperately. 

"What did I do?"