Chapter 9 - recovery

Helenas tired eyes peeled themselves awake as she felt a hand on her hair. Johnathan sat beside her on her bed, stroking her hair. His eyes were red as if he'd been crying.

"Johnny? What happened?"

He let out a sad sigh.

"Your mother didn't make it, my dear. The paramedics took their sweet time showing up, and she bled out."

Helena jolted upright.

"No," she muttered.

"I'm terribly sorry, Helena."

"NO," she said, louder. "That can't be real. I tried to fix things, I tried to make it better!"

"It's not your job to fix it, you did what you could. You didn't force that man to kill her."

Helenas eyes glazed over.

"You're right. I didn't do anything. He did."

"That's right. You tried your best."

Helenas brows furrowed as furious tears ripped from her eyes. She tore the blanket off the bed and jumped out of it.

"I'm gonna fuckin kill him," she growled.

"Darling please wait, you're still recovering."

"I'm fine,"  she began.

The floor seemed to sway under her feet and she crouched, putting a hand on the floor.

"I have to kill him," she repeated.

Nausea burned the back of her throat and nose, and she clamped her other hand over her chapped lips.

"We will, don't fret. I know where he is. But please, before we do anything like that, just rest a little longer. Then you can get your revenge." Johnathan assured.

Helena wanted to protest, but her swirling vision decided for her. Johnathan gently lifted her back into the bed and tucked the blanket back over her tiny body. He grabbed a glass of water and a few pain pills off the bedside table and handed them to Helena.

"Take these, and drink some water. You're very dehydrated from the fear toxin." He instructed.

She did, and let her gaze wander the room.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"A motel near your apartments. That wretch had some money on him, so it was no trouble getting a room. I thought that old warehouse wouldn't be the best for avoiding the police."

"Right," Helena agreed as her eyes pleaded to close.

She obliged and went back to a pleasant, dreamless sleep.

-

Helena awoke to shaking, Johnathan shaking her arm and he whispered, low and frantic.

"Darling we have to go,"

"Wha-?" Her eyes were still heavy with sleep as he shook her more roughly.

"Someone sported is and put out a tip, the police are here." Johnathans eyes darted to the door.

Helena sprung from the bed, eyes wild with fear as she grappled with her shoes. She and Johnathan went into the bathroom and cracked open the window as the police got to their door. They knocked once, twice.

"GCPD, open up!"

No response as Johnathan assisted his pink haired lover escape the motel room. Helena brushed the dust off her clothes as they made a beeline for the bus stop. The bus driver eyed them begrudgingly as they were still dressed in their blue Arkham uniforms. Johnathan gave the driver a few crumpled bills and the doors closed and they made their way to the back of the bus.

"Where are we going?" Helena yawned as she leaned into Johnathan.

"We're heading back into the city. Oswald owns the iceberg lounge, so we should be safe there."

Helena nodded as her gaze met the passing scenery of Gotham. The crumbling outskirts of the city filled her with dread as her thoughts wandered back to her mother. The intrusive image of her mothers body stained her mind and tears pulsed from her eyes.

Johnathan brushed away a tear from her hot face.

"Are you alright, darling?"

"When are we going to kill him?" She choked out quietly.

Johnathans gaze softened and his hand made its way to her tangled hair.

"Soon," he soothed. "We need to get to safety first, and then you can have your revenge."

Arriving at the iceberg lounge, Johnathan gently shook Helena awake.

"My dear, we've arrived."

She gazed up at him and nodded, giving a small smile. They laced their fingers together before exiting the bus. The doorman let them in wordlessly, pushing open the ornate brass door.

"Johnny, my dear boy! Welcome! What can I do for you?" Oswald called from the balcony of the club.

They ascended the stairs, muttering 'sorrys' and 'excuse mes' to the clumps of people crowding the club. Reaching Oswald, Johnathan gave a slight bow.

"Hey, Penguin. We need a place to stay."

Oswald grinned and spread him arms wide. "Say no more! I'll have one the back rooms prepared at once. Boys?" He snapped his fingers, and two burly men headed towards a door at the back of the club.

Oswald reclined in his chair once more and set his eyes on Helena. "Stay a while, won't you? Enjoy some drinks, make nice with the guests."

It didn't really seem like a request, so Helena nodded. She let go of Johnathan's hand and started down the stairs.

"Helena?" He called after her, confusion coloring his face.

As Helena made her way through the crowd, her blood boiled. She needed to find the man that killed her mother. She had to. It wouldn't take back what she'd done, but it could bring some much needed peace to her soul. Her mother could forgive her if she got revenge. She would also need to drop by the precinct to find her baby sister. She didn't trust Mina in the hands of those filthy cops.

She felt a hand on her shoulder as she passed through the lower level. Helena began to brush it away when it grabbed her wrist.

"You come here alone, little girl? You're awfully cute," a grotesque cigarette perfume hit her in the face before she saw him. "Cmon, dance with me," he put another hand on her waist, sliding it to her ass as he pulled her close.

Helena tried to pull away from him, but his grip was locked tight.