Chapter-13: Marshal Chao

"Long Live the Emperor! The instructions have been implemented in the southeast. Meanwhile, the soldiers have been sent with the aids. They will reach the northwest until the end of the month." The minister sighed when he saw the tyrant nod in acknowledgment.

Elon had given the irrigation plan while he was working on the war strategy, in case, the northwestern attack ahead of the time. However, he was lacking in that department so the planning wasn't coming smooth.

He should have asked Wang Li Qiang for his assistance. After all, according to the recorded history, Wang Li Qiang was a top-tier General who conquered a lot of lands for the Tang country. He had to be a great war strategist for that. 

While Elon was contemplating his choices another minister opened his mouth hesitantly. Sweat beads were crawling down from the side of his head as he glanced at the towering form of the Emperor.

"His Imperial Highness, this minister has to inform about the....r-return of great Marshal, Chao Qian." The hall fell into silence along the arguing officials and ministers.

Elon was confused at the sudden change in atmosphere on the mention of said Marshal. No matter how much he tried, he wasn't able to remember that Marshal.

"H-his Imperial Highness......" The minister called out again when he saw the furrowed eyebrows of the Emperor and couldn't help but cry in his heart.

What? You forgot the biggest tyrant of the century, ba?!

Everyone was shaken from inside at the mention of Chao Qian, the Great Marshal of the Tang dynasty. This great Marshal had left to defend the borders and widen the horizon of Tang country when the massacre of the royal family happened. Now on his return, when he would find out about the new Emperor and what he had done to seize the throne, will he be able to digest it?

Everyone knew how loyal the great Marshal was to His Imperial Highness, the later Monarch. A good show was awaiting them, however, there was no guarantee if they will also be wrapped in the wrath of the loyal soldier.

Wang Li Qiang furrowed his eyebrows at the sight of trembling courtiers. He had heard about the legendary Marshal and how he had fought many glorious wars. The latter Emperor valued him a lot.

Wang Li Qiang never saw him personally and thus, could only speculate about the personality of the said Marshal Chao Qian.

When his eyes flickered beside him, he saw the Emperor's face was contorted into a complicated frown. Before he could ask, the Emperor rose from the dragon throne and dismissed the court, directly walking out.

Wang Li Qiang saw Elon's fading figure, his gaze mixed up with uncertainty. Why was the Emperor acting like that?

He didn't ponder for long though and soon followed behind the Emperor. He left the noisy court hall and walked out but the corridor was empty. He had just turned a corner and saw Elon leaning against the wall whilst clutching head. His expression was pained as he gasped for breath.

Wang Li Qiang rushed to his side and support his weak body. His worried eyes scanned Elon.

"What happened?" He asked calmly, the internal worry was concealed meanwhile.

It took some time for Elon to register that there was someone beside him talking. He opened his eyes to look at Li Qiang before shutting them quickly in pain.

"I-I...my head......" Elon gasped out the last words and then passed out.
.
.
.
.
The ground shook under the powerful steps of thousands and thousands of horses racing over it. Men packed in heavy armor, their expression stern as they reeked of the thick smell of blood and death.