Naming of the Colt

He was a spring. He was a hand on the trigger, a leaf quivering on a winter-dead tree, a coiled snake that tasted the air for danger when there was none. Ready to lash out at those that came too close. Any sudden movements could result in an explosion, and no one knew who would suffer.
And yet...

"Look at the wee devil move!" Ned, the new groom imported from Ireland, delighted in the sight of the foal. Certain of his surroundings, the spindly two-day old sprang across the small paddock that clasped him into his spot on the ranch. Somewhere west was the broodmare pasture, and north of the paddock was the stallion's run, but for now the foal claimed what he knew of the world as his territory. He held no concept of oceans and deserts and mountains and forests and the racetracks he would one day conquer. All he knew was the roundness and the whiteness of this tiny enclosure- yet he didn't know it was tiny, for he had no where to compare it to.
The man besides Ned frowned, studying the colt. There was no doubt that the colt could move. The youngest of the foals on the ranch, already he was propelling himself forwards with a power that foretold of his days on the track. His legs struck out smoothly, his neck arched as he balanced on his hindquarters and whirled in the opposite direction, and he didn't possess the gangly grace of a foal. Rather, he was a spider crossing the kitchen linoleum, growing more confident with each step. "He looks fine now. But just wait. I've seen the most awkward fillies grow into balanced young mares- one of them, ten years ago, was born sickle-hocked and pigeon-toed, and her rump was nearly higher than her head. Three years later she ran in the Derby. Didn't even place, mind you. But that was one hell of a filly. Meanwhile our most hopeful colt didn't even make it to his first race."
Ned nodded, too entranced by the bay colt in front of him. "But this one would do more than place," he murmured. "Look at his eyes. He's king of the world, and he knows it."
This was true. There was something striking about the colt's eyes, a steadiness beyond his age. They were dark beads studying the world from a darker coat, for the colt was that odd shade between bay and black. Nearly as dark as night, but a promise of brown touched his features.
"He's had a bad beginning." The man mused. He and Ned lapsed into silence, remembering.
The day before, the colt had been found in his stall, newly born, with his dam, newly dead. They could not figure if she'd had a birthing complication or had colicked shortly after. Her stomach was bloated and sweat hardened her fur before dead did. There would be no necropsy. There was no point- the mare was dead, and that was all to it.
So far the barn manager had been unable to locate a nursemare for the colt.
"Ah, well, it happens with the best of us. Some things can't be helped." Ned remarked, slapping the top of the fence he leaned over. The colt took offense and lashed out at an invisible enemy, hooves punching the air with ignorant anger. Satisfied with his action, the colt bolted across the paddock, not bucking or cavorting as most colts did. He settled for the steady pounding of the dirt, muscles gliding under his satiny coat.
"And for a name? The Jockey Club won't wait forever."
At this new voice, the man and Ned turned to face away from the colt, watching with different intentions as Lilac, the barn owner's daughter, approached with an easy grace. Her dark eyes glinted mischief as they took in Ned's vibrant auburn curls and the other man's pale, weaselish features, her rose-petal smile a soft stroke of paint in the green Kentucky meadows. "Derek, what do you know of this colt's breeding?"
The man turned to look back at the foal contemplatively, met with an equally contemplative glance from the colt. There was something disconcerting about his gaze, but he couldn't put a finger on it. "He's by DoomsDay and out of Surrender, may she rest in peace." He answered his sister.
Ned and Lilac took a moment to digest this.
"Most racehorse names are a combination of their dam and sire." Ned offered, a tidbit Lilac and Derek had known since they were three years old but nonetheless accepted into consideration.
"Doomed Horizon?" Lilac offered.
Derek shot her a look of disgust. "This colt has had a bad enough lot already. I'm not one for superstition but that's a terrible idea." He scoffed.
Ned privately agreed, but he touched Lilac's elbow in a gentle apology. She blushed. Derek noticed.
"So, something not to do with doom. We'll have to use "Day" then. Day of Surrender?"
"He's not a loser. Dad has high hopes for this colt."
Lilac sighed. Names were so hard.
"Well, what happens during surrender? The soldiers stop fighting. Correct?"
The siblings paused as they readjusted their trains of thought onto Ned's track. "Yes. No fighting... Peaceful Day?" Lilac offered, shooting a tentative look at her brother. A scowl was considering taking up permanent residence on his face.
"Close. He's not a sissy though."
The trio fell silent as they contemplated the tricky nature of the colt's ancestral names.
"I have it." Ned said suddenly. "Bloodless Day."
A prickle of electricity danced through the air as Derek turned his attention back to the colt. To his surprise, the foal had walked quietly up to the fence and was staring up at him, as though he knew of the conversation being held, that it was about him.
"Yes." He said quietly. "That is the colt's name. And may his days be bloodless from now on."
They remembered the mare.

~~~

Ready? Okay!

I'm not quite done with TOSOTF, but I've run myself into a wall with it and I'm debating deleting a few chapters and removing the magical element from it, as I feel that the essence of the first several chapters do not line up with it. Yet at the same time I love the whole concept of the Creators and the "spirit" animals, so I may keep it, or channel that into a different story. But this isn't about that.

I'm really excited for this story. I'm going to be trying to update about once a week- please please please hold me to that- because I think this story is going to be important somehow. Maybe to me, I'm not sure what it is though. Closure? An important lesson? An anti-lesson? Whatever it is, I have high hopes for it and am already planning it out, unlike TOSOTF, which I kind of was running through blindly. 

Thank you for clicking and giving this little story a chance! Enjoy the ride!

-Iggy