Chapter 8: Compensation

WARNING: MENTIONING OF DRUGS/IMPLICATION OF DRUG USAGE

Who knew that yanking a thirty-something year old's arms would be surprisingly difficult?
Not Ellie.

As Eum (or Ethan? Ellie should probably ask what his name is...) high-tailed it out of there, Ellie grabbed Mark's forceps and jerked him towards the door. Mark, who didn't know what the hell was going on and seriously wanted to go back to bed, almost face planted on the floor if Ellie didn't catch him in time. Ellie was ignoring the fact that she could not carry him and proceeded to open the door. She put her hand on the doorknob and yanked it open, only to have it close back.

After a couple of minutes of trying and failing to get out the blasted door, Ellie had a terrific idea. What if she threw open the door so that it slammed the wall and gunned it out of there? Well, that's exactly what she did. And it worked!-- only if we ignored the fact that Mark came tumbling down directly onto Ellie once they were in the hallway.
Great.

Ellie patted Mark and asked, "You alright back there?"

There wasn't an answer.

Ellie hoped that Mark finally passed out (he looked a little worse for wear) and started to pick up her speed towards the nurse. Guilt filled her stomach as she continued to look back to make sure that Mark was still visibly breathing. All of the white brick hallways seemed to mesh together as Ellie continued making turns until at the end of a hallway she saw the door for the nurse's office.

The next couple of minutes were a miracle. The Nurse had opened her door and saw Ellie struggling to get over to the door with Mark on her back. The Nurse immediately ran over and helped Ellie bring the injured fool onto one of the many cots. After seeing if Mark was still breathing, she went over to the sink and washed her hands to get rid of the blood. "Grab those cotton balls over there," the nurse gestured over to the jar of cotton balls that were conveniently placed on her desk. Ellie did as she was told while the nurse went to go grab something in the back. She grabbed the cotton balls off of the Nurse's desk and went back over to Mark.
Then, the nurse entered through the door carrying some medical alcohol, wrappings, and a couple of other things in her hands. She set down the assortment of medical supplies and put on some gloves while ordering Ellie to wash her hands and then put on some gloves as well.

As Ellie was washing her hands, the nurse ripped off Mark's shirt to assess the multiple cuts. They weren't that deep, so there was no need to stitch them up however, he was bleeding a lot. The nurse's main concern was blood loss. He didn't lose enough to die from it, but he did need more. But first, she needed to clean the wounds. The nurse grabbed a cloth and the medical alcohol and sloshed some onto the rag.

At that point, Ellie was putting on her gloves when she heard Mark hiss in pain. Startled, she looked up and saw the nurse was gently pressing the rag onto Mark. Ellie immediately asked what she could do to help (in a twisted way, Ellie thought all of this was her fault). "Get me some of those bandages and wraps. They're in the second cabinet right next to the sink," The Nurse then went back to helping Mark.

Ellie walked over to the sink and started to wash her hands until she saw the cabinet door was opened just a smidge. Without thinking, she opened the door and hidden in the mass of soap and paper towels, was a ziplock bag with pills of all sorts of shapes and colors. Ellie quietly closed the cupboard and walked back to the Nurse's desk; a plan was beginning to formulate in her mind.

"...What's your name?" Ellie asked, fumbling with the random things that were on the Nurse's desk.

After a couple of minutes of silence, the Nurse finally responded, "Just call me Nurse." She was a little bit annoyed that Ellie was messing with her things, so she reminded herself that she had roughly twenty minutes until her break.