𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓: Call For Back-Up

★☆⋆⋆✶★☆⋆⋆✶

𝖍𝖔𝖜 𝖙𝖔: 𝖑𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖌𝖎𝖗𝖑

(CHAPTER EIGHT)

𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤-𝐮𝐩

𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤-𝐮𝐩

★☆⋆⋆✶★☆⋆⋆✶

When the plan was thrown out that Kiara and Ronni would distract the security guard at the salvage yard after leaving the Dunweather Disaster that was Ronni's life, she missed the connecting point where she and Kie would have to sit in a car together as they drove there. Now, she easily could have kept herself distracted by the conversation she'd just had with Rachel, but she'd rather talk about anything else in the world. Plus, with the way Kie had been staring at her since last night, she knew she'd slip up. So the moment they made the transfer from the van to Kie's SUV with her dad's boat and trailer on the back, Ronni pretended like she'd never seen the button to roll the window down before―but then Kie kept glancing over at her, and eventually she just kind of blurted it out.

"I kissed JJ."

She winced as Kie whirled her head around, almost slamming her foot on the brake.

"...twice."

Kie did slam on the brakes that time. Ronni thrust her hand out on the dashboard, thankful for the invention of seatbelts, turning to look at Kiara with wide eyes and her usual string of "fuck!" following in suit. Unsurprisingly, her best friend was mimicking the same facial experiences, her brown eyes twice their usual size as she gaped at Ronni like she'd just admitted to killing someone and hiding the dead body in her trunk.

"Okay, Kie, listen―"

"Oh my god," came rambling out of Kie's mouth all at once, and she whipped her head back around to continue driving, freaking out at the same time. "Oh my god, you two totally kissed before we came into the room. You...oh. Ronni... I swear to God, if you tell me you kissed JJ in that graveyard―"

"It wasn't intentional!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, your lips just fell on his?!"

"Kind of!"

"Gross, Ronni!"

"Don't 'gross' me! Being in a graveyard wasn't on the forefront of my mind! I had to come up with something! I didn't mean to!" Ronni exclaimed back defensively, waving her hand around. Then she paused, wincing again and bringing her hand up to her face when she felt the oncomings of a blush. "Well...I mean, the second time was definitely intentional."

There was a moment where Kie just stared blank and wide-mouthed at the road ahead of her, but then she exhaled heavily in relief. "Well finally. It only took the two of you a billion years to stop acting oblivious. I was getting tired of being JJ's pro-bono therapist."