The Unexpected Attack

Total two years after Percy joined S.H.I.E.L.D., in a random café....

Percy sipped on his cup of espresso. Complete peace is something he has not experienced in a long time. He was now a Level 13 agent. Same as Barton, Romanoff and Hills. One level lower than Phil (who was Level 14) and two levels lower than Fury (who was in Level 15, the last level). Since all agents who have been promoted beyond Level 12 need a code name, He gave himself the name Flame Wave. Natasha's is Black Widow and Clint's is Hawkeye. He does not know what is the code name of Maria, Phil or Fury, but they must have something.

He felt the back of his neck tingle and a gut-feeling like someone was watching him. And he knows enough to trust his guts. There goes his peace of the day. He turned his head. No one. But the feeling in his guts did not decrease. He quickly finished his espresso, paid for it and exited the café. As he walked, he could still feel the burning gaze on his back. Okay now this is getting irritating. He changed his course and entered an empty, half dark alley-way. He leaned against a wall. Pretty soon a girl of his age entered the alley, blocking the exit and staring straight at him. It was Katie Gardener, daughter of Demeter.

'Long time no see, Jackson.'

'What are you doing, Miss Gardener?'

'Well, that is kind of secret but I mean business. You have got two options: come with me or I'll force you.'

'I'd prefer the third one, where I don't go with you.' He pushed himself off the wall and stood straight.

Katie charged at him, swinging her left hand at his head. An effective way to knock someone out, but old. He blocked it with his right hand and twisted so it was now clamped behind her back. She raised her knees and kicked his knees, making him loose his grip momentarily; which was enough for her.

'Did the gods set you up to this?' he asked regaining himself and blocking another attack.

'Oh, wouldn't you like to know?' she mocked.

They exchanged a few more punches and kicks before Percy flipped himself and brought his dragging hers. It made her lose her balance which he used as his leverage and blocked her in a head lock.

'Now, let's try the diplomatic approach where I ask and you answer. Why are you doing this?'

'You call this "diplomatic"?' she asked trying to wiggle out of his grip.

He tightened his grip. 'Answer!'

Katie chocked. He let her free because if she dies he could have to possibly deal with the gods, again. She balanced herself and took out a gun. From where did Katie get a gun?

'You know, from next time I won't be so kind.'

She pointed the gun at him. 'You do not want to get shot from one of these.'

He could easily throw his Chaotic dagger at her, but he can't disappoint Chaos. If he uses his powers, that could be take much of energy: something he needs. He forgot his chain on his bedside table along with his gun and Riptide (which doesn't come to him anymore because he is officially not a demigod). So silly of him. But he just wanted to have a peaceful breakfast, for once. Next time, he never leaving his things behind. Better safe than sorry. Well, he does have a plan.

'Okay, okay. Listen,' he came closer to her, 'why don't you', he raised his foot and kicked the gun out of her hand and caught it before you can say Wait! 'hand over the gun to me', he finished pointing it at her. She took a jack-knife out of nowhere and threw it at Percy. He tried to dodge but it impaled itself on his arm, luckily not to deep. He rolled and stood, firing at her legs. She moved towards the side but too late. The bullet did not completely hit her but it left a deep cut. But she did not seem affected by it though. She sighed and looked at her watch and smirked. She curled her fingers around Percy's hand and jerked the gun out of his hand.

'I have to go, but you know what? We will meet again. And my side will be ready with lots of surprises.'

Percy gave her a confused look. She smirked and, as quick as lightning, she was gone. Percy blinked, his brain going miles per hour. That was Katie but it did not seem like her. She could never attack someone without a reason. And the bullet wound was deep enough to injure her but she did not even seem slightly hurt. It was almost as if her brain was not sending signals to her body parts properly, or... as if she was being possessed.

His phone rang, breaking his train of thoughts. He took it out. Agent Maria Hills.

'This is Agent Jackson.'

She went straight to the point. No 'Good morning' or 'how was your day?'

'You have a new mission in Paris. Reach the base within the next 10 minutes for debriefing.'