Chapter 27

Mia

She narrows her eyes and studies me, her fingers still playing that invisible piano on her knee until a bright smile spreads across her face. "God, you're good."

"Oh yeah, I know. It's frustrating, isn't it?"

PRESENT

The universe must be against me.

Surely, it can't be a coincidence that I ran into him again. In a matter of one week, I run into him twice, after having two years of utter radio silence.

You are ice-cold...

His words still echo through my brain, more often than I'd like to admit. But especially after seeing him last week, and after just now running into him, do I feel the pain again. It hurt just to look at him, even though he looked so goddamn handsome.

Because Lincoln has changed, clearly. He looked good, healthy. Probably healthier than I've ever seen him, I'll give him that. But that doesn't change the fact that I felt this giant boulder slam right into me the second he shook my hand, and I suddenly felt thrown back to two years ago, to that day on the bridge.

The truth is, as much as I was trying to forget him, to do as I told him, I couldn't. I still can't. I'd lie to myself if I acted like he never existed - and my mother raised me not to lie, not even to myself.

I just don't know what to think of this. Couldn't he just stay the fuck away? And why did I not know that he was Finn's attending?

Granted, I never told anyone about Lincoln except for Pops. Mom obviously knew something, but when I visited them a few days after Pops's death I think she just knew that something happened. Because the questions stopped that day, and in a way it actually was as if he never existed, the only reminder of his existence were Lincoln's traces in my apartment.

I moved out of it after he left. Too much reminded me of him, and it was simply too painful. I just couldn't live there anymore. Everything smelled like him, I never took down the decorations he hung on the wall, and groceries only he'd eat were still hiding in the kitchen cabinets. It was too much. I just needed a change.

Dad luckily helped me out by offering me one of the apartments he owned, I guess he thought I was just coping with Pops's death, which I was, but he didn't have the slightest idea about the actual extent of my pain. At least I live closer to my parents now...

"Ms. Esperanza?" A kind voice interrupts my reverie and I instantly look up, smiling at the friendly-looking woman in front of me. "Yes, that's me," I answer before getting up and shaking her hand.

"Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Clarice, I'll show you to Dr. Avian's office," she says, opening the door to the waiting room and leading me outside. I study the grey, beige, and white walls of the hallway, multiple pictures and plants decorate the practice in a warm manner. The lighting is just as warm, it's not the typical fluorescent light you see in every other doctor's office. It's almost yellow, like candlelight.

The whole practice gives off a calming vibe, even the employees seem extremely empathetic and nice. I mean, I'd be surprised if someone as famous as Dr. Avian went for anything but perfection in her whole practice.

"There you go," Clarice speaks as she opens another door and waves me inside, "You have a great day, and good luck!" She winks before closing the door behind me, and I can't help but smile when I notice the woman with ginger hair behind a desk, her face so familiar and yet so strange.

"Ms. Esperanza! Oh, I'm pleased to meet you." She gets up from her chair and takes a step toward me, shaking my hand with a smile. My father always said you know a lot about a person from the way they shake hands. Dr. Avian definitely comes off as a strong woman, her shake is firm but warm nonetheless, it's quite a fascinating experience. "Please, take a seat."