Three

I'm sat in my Grandfather's study, waiting for him to join me after a meeting with his advisors. There's hardly anything in here that would suggest the things he's proud of – no pictures of his children or grandchildren, not even a photograph of my Grandmother. He does have his certificate from both the Academy and The University framed on the wall behind him though. I suppose it is his working space, he doesn't want distractions everywhere.

The door behind me opens and I stand to greet him with a smile, but it soon falls flat from my face when instead of my Grandfather, I'm faced with the same arrogant smirk that's been agitating me since yesterday.

"What a surprise Angel, I didn't think I'd be seeing you here."

"Why not? Can't I come see my Grandfather?"

He smiles in a way that makes me think that I irritate him just as much as he does me. I just can't stand how arrogant and conceited he is, whether his presence brings the butterflies out again or not. I wish he wasn't so attractive, that would make everything so much simpler.

"Of course you can, you just don't seem like the type of girl who sits around waiting for someone."

"He's a busy man," I say as I sit back down facing away from him, "What're you doing here anyway?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I asked you first," I stare him down as he sits himself on the chair next to me and unlike yesterday, I win. Small victories.

"President Snow asked to see me," he eyes me with a smirk, "Is it something I'll be doing for you by any chance?"

"What would I possibly want from you Finnick?"

He raises his eyebrows in amusement, "Well you seemed pretty jealous yesterday when I had been with your friend, maybe you were hoping to get in on the action yourself. I'm sure she sang my praises high enough; I have a good reputation you know."

And just when I thought he couldn't possibly be any more of an arrogant pig, "I'm afraid you're not my type," WRONG, so wrong – look at him, he's everyone's type! I steer the conversation away before he can catch me out. "What would my Grandfather have to do with that anyway?"

He looks away from me, "I'm sure he wouldn't let you go without something you wanted."

Something has changed in the mood and I'm about to respond when Grandfather walks in, he's obviously surprised to see me but gives me a kiss on the cheek and moves to his chair. The familiar smell of roses fills the room and while I sink into it, I can feel Finnick tense up next to me.

"I wasn't expecting to see you darling; I have a meeting Mr Odair before I leave so it'll have to be quick."

I give him my most charming smile, "Well, I was wondering if I could go with Father when he goes to the districts – he says he's fine with it as long as you are."

I see Finnick look between us both as Grandfather smiles back just as charmingly, "Out of the question."

"What? B-but why?" I know I sound like a petulant child, but it's something I've been wanting for so long. The Capitol is such a small part of Panem and I want to see as much of it as I can. I want to see where I was born.

"Because it's not appropriate – there are things that a young lady like yourself should not have to see."

"But I don't need wrapping up in cotton wool, I never get to see or do anything! I want to see the ocean. I'm going to die holed up here and I'll never have seen it."

"What on earth do you want to see the ocean for my dear?" He looks at Finnick, "If that's all you want to see then Mr Odair here can tell you everything you want to know about the ocean, he's from District Four. I'm sure he'd be delighted to tell you about his home."