Fourteen

I'm jolted awake by four little feet jumping up and down on the bed, Mina and Heidi giggling as they see my shock.

Heidi does a final jump onto her knees and lays her head by mine on the pillow, "You can't sleep all day Cassie!" Mina carries on jumping and begins singing.

The day is new, the sea is blue, and we've got lots of things to do

It's time to wake, get up and shake, and see the memories we will make

Oh we don't know, where we may go, we might go high or we might go low

So let's go play, in the waves all day, and sail on a boat til we're far away.

I grin up at her, "What a lovely way to wake up. I don't suppose I get breakfast in bed too?"

Heidi laughs, shaking her head, and tugs me from the bed with Mina following close behind. I'm only in my pyjama top and shorts but the girls are still in their pyjamas too so I guess I won't be too out of place. My Mother though would have a heart attack if she were here with me.

As we get closer to the kitchen, I can hear that there are lots of voices coming from inside, lots more than the other three people that I thought were in the house. Before I can even think about turning back round to get changed, Heidi bounds through the door to the kitchen pulling me in behind her and everyone looks our way.

"Cassia!" A familiar face smiles and comes over to give me a hug.

I smile at her as she pulls away and I'm delighted to see her looking a great deal happier than I've previously seen her, "Good morning Annie." I look around the room and I'm faced with a room full of faces, most of whom I haven't really met other than at the training centre. Annie was here, Mags and Marlin were sat at the counter, Iris and Mitch were cooking breakfast, and Brier Mahley, Gordal Lennox and Crystal Cairns were talking with Finnick, "I hadn't been expecting to see so many people."

Iris smiles and waves her arm towards the table, "Sit down Cassie, we're all going to have breakfast and then we'll be taking a walk down to town. Keel and James are out fishing so they won't be with us."

I nod and smile at everyone, I'm met with a mixture of responses before everyone takes their seats around the counter and Iris places steaming pots of home cooked breakfast dishes on the table. Everyone starts tucking in to bacon and sausages, pancakes and fruit, toast. There's too much to choose from really.

"We wouldn't normally be so extravagant with breakfast," Iris says from besides me as she fills her plate, "But we'll probably all be roping in to help with the roof so we could do with the extra energy."

"The roof? Was something damaged during the storm?"

"Hah!" A loud voice cuts in harshly from the other end of the counter. Marlin looks at me with mocking eyes, "You call that a storm?"

Finnick nudges him gently and whispers something in his ear, making him laugh. I try and force the embarrassment back from my cheeks at the thought of being laughed at in front of all of these people.

Annie smiles sweetly at me, looking up from her task of shaping the blueberries on her pancakes into a smiley face. "The orphanage roof has been damaged for a long time; we've got some wood to fix it now."

I beam, "Oh I forgot! I'm glad it came." They all look to me confused, "Grandfather said he would be sending it on the overnight train but I had forgotten what with the storm."

Finnick speaks up, "Let me get this right – you asked for the roof to be fixed?" I nod and put a piece of a melon in my mouth. Finnick looks around at the others and back to me as though he's not satisfied with my response.