Chapter 5

I decided to go to the band meet on Monday and what happened during the meet kept me so busy that I didn't get to see Faith again until Friday. I got to Kita's house at around 4:00pm and they were sitting in her garage. I was nervous to look at any of them after completely falling off the face of the earth for the last few months and then treating Jax the way I did a few nights ago. When they saw me, they looked like they saw a ghost.

"You came." Kita said, eyes widened. She sounded both shocked and relieved.

"How could I not? With you guys threatening me and stuff." I responded, kicking the dirt around with my show. Dirk walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"It's good to see you," he said.

"Yeah..." I couldn't really think of small-talk conversations to have with these guys. Seeing the way Dirk just welcomed me and how Kita looked at me, I felt sick to my stomach.

"Look I really only came here to tell you guys that I'm okay, you should just get a new guitarist for Deep Division."

"Ethan, if this is because of what happened-" Jax started but I quickly cut him off.

"It's not dude. I've been thinking about it since before you came to see me."

"You did what?" Kita asked, snapping her look toward Jax. He looked like he had been caught doing something illegal by his mom.

"Shit. You didn't tell them?" I asked.

"We told you not to go see him." Dirk said, obviously irritated.

"He's here, ain't he?" Jax shot back.

"That's not the point." Kita retorted.

"Look guys, it's okay. Santana and Tony are good for the band and if getting a new guitarist will push you guys closer to the dream then you can't just sit around waiting for-"

"No, we don't need a new guitarist. We used to only have one, why do we need two all of a sudden?" she said, defensively. A look of confusion bore onto my face. Kita was never the type to snap at me before but I guessed it had to be frustrating for her since I never seem to answer my calls or texts anymore.

"Kita, c'mon, we agreed that the second guitar added more complexity to our rhythm." I tried explaining to her.

"I don't care. Santana and Tony are being unreasonable."

"No they aren't. Don't you think you're-"

"Yes they are!" she screamed, cutting me off again.

"Why are you getting so defensive over this Kita?" I asked a little louder than I meant. I didn't want to get aggressive with them.

"I'm not getting defensive! We don't need a new member."

"But Kita, I-"

"It's because we hate them." Jax stated, digging something out of his fingernails.

"What?" I asked.

"I hate Tony and Santana. Kita and Dirk feel the same." he looked me dead in the eyes so bluntly that I felt like I was stupid for not understanding him. Kita and Dirk looked ashamed and betrayed, not even looking at me anymore.

"Is that true you guys?" I asked, motioning for anyone to agree with what Jax just announced. Kita was biting her lip, forcing herself into silence.

"Yeah...we hate them." Dirk mumbled.

"We really tried to get along with them." Kita chimed in.

"But every-time any of us had an idea, they would shoot us down. They threatened to fire Dirk because they got us signed with a label but the condition was that we had to get rid of Dirk because apparently an overweight member ruins our reputation and I was NOT going to let them fire Dirk! So I called the label and told them to kiss my ass." Kita's face was all scrunched up as if she had an awful taste in her mouth. I could see tears forming in her eyes and although I wanted to go comfort her, I couldn't find the means to do it.