Chapter 7

It's been a few days since I last saw Faith. I didn't mean to skip out on going to the cemetery but a few days ago, while I was up late playing video games...there she was, Beth. I hadn't seen her for six months then, all of a sudden, she was jogging around the neighborhood. She was just as beautiful as she was the day I told her not to come back. Her hair was still blue but it was shorter than before. I didn't mean to gawk at her but the way that the moon glistened almost as if she was reflective, I was mesmerized. It could've been the only chance I had to see her again and I couldn't waste it. So I paused my game, and rushed to my porch to wait for her to circle around again...only she didn't.

I waited for a few minutes and she didn't pass my house again. I decided to take one lap and noticed the light in her house was on. I stood outside, mulling over whether or not I wanted to knock on the door. I hadn't seen or spoken to her in 6 months...what if she hated me? But, the nagging feeling of "now or never" wouldn't leave me alone and in the end, I knocked. I waited for a little bit, leveling my breathing and hoping she would answer. After a second, I saw her peak through her curtains at me with wide eyes. I waited for a little while more and, except for the unevenness of my breathing there was only silence. I decided to cut my losses and walked down the steps of her porch when I heard the clicks and creeks of her door opening. She peeked through, staring at me, not saying a word. Again, I was mesmerized but the beauty could not conceal the sadness in her eyes.

"Hey Ethan." she said quietly and it pained my heart so bad, that I considered going back home.

"Hey..." I responded. The air was tense and awkward.

"How have you been these days?" she asked.

"Good, well, better."

"That's good." she said with a nod. I was agonizingly stiff.

"Where have you been? I uhh haven't really seen you lately."

"Oh uhm yeah...I've been in Germany. I got to study there for a few months."

"Thats awesome! How come you didn't tell me?"

"Oh well I meant to but...well..." she trailed off and I knew immediately why she didn't tell me.

"I'm sorr-"

"I'm sorry Ethan. I just got back and I'm kinda tired, can we talk another time maybe?" she asked. She smiled but I could see straight through it, she wasn't going to see me again.

"How about tomorrow?" I asked.

"I don't know..."

"Please? I'm busy for the rest of the week and I would really like to catch up." I felt silly and desperate but I had already come this far, there was no point in backing down now.

"I, well..." she started. Her eyes met mine for a moment and for that moment, I felt a pull in my heartstrings, then she looked away.

"Okay, tomorrow works. Just, not too early ok?"

"Yeah." I responded. She gave me a small smile and wished me a goodnight before closing the door. I made my way back home feeling both relieved and anxious.

Then the exhaustion struck and I passed out on my bed.

As I slept, my dreams were filled with memories from when Beth and I were together. So happy at first, but then disaster struck hard. Once I had lost them, I had gone down a hole...a really deep and dark one. All of a sudden, life wasn't worth living. Mom and Beth tried to comfort me...in fact, everyone was trying to comfort me and yet, it all seemed so meaningless. I was less than sad. I was less than angry. At this point, I was just numb. So, I went home and grabbed the Benedryl from my mom's medicine cabinet. At first I just wanted to go to sleep but then I just kept taking them.