Chapter Seven

Emily

I looked down at Francesca's body, horror stricken that alpha Logan had caused this. "What were you thinking?" Dom asked him, "I wasn't." He admitted, hanging his head. "She was walking after Emily and I just panicked." Dom narrowed his eyes, "you were worried because she was following Emily?" Then he looked down at Francesca, "what are you doing at my pack house?" Through the pain she still managed to smirk up at Dom, "wouldn't you like to know?" He crouched close to her, her smile widened, "you either tell me what you were doing at my home, or I can force it out of you." She laughed, it was a sickeningly sweet sound, "I'd love you to force me, Alpha."

My stomach turned, one minute I felt sick, the next my blood was heating, bubbling inside as anger rose through my veins. Dom put pressure on her broken leg, she screamed out in pain. That satisfied me. "Okay!" She shouted, "I was just paying your little girlfriend a visit." Logan's face shot to mine, "girlfriend?" He questioned, looking between us. I looked at Dom, my mouth open. Clearly we weren't together or anything and I don't think we saw each other that way... yet we still didn't know how to answer.

Finally Dom broke the silence, "Francesca is a psychopath, she has no idea what she's talking about. She's been jealous ever since Emily arrived here." Logan took this in and his shoulders seemed to relax. Was he happy? Was he somehow satisfied that I hadn't found someone else? I don't know how that made me feel, but I brushed it to the side thinking about what Elena had said. He had a mate, he was here to build bridges, nothing more.

Dom looked between us, this was a lot more awkward than I anticipated it being. He gestured towards the door "Shall we go in?" I stood there, open mouthed still, "what about Francesca?" He continued walking with Logan, leaving the girl in the grass, "her bones will heal soon, let this be a lesson to her for being where she isn't wanted." There seemed to be more to this than I understood, instead of arguing further I left it. It wasn't my place. I followed them into the house, this was definitely turning out to be the worst idea I'd had in a long time.

I stopped by the bathroom while they carried on towards the office. I slipped inside and leaned against the counter. Looking at myself in the mirror I started to mentally beat myself up, why had I thought that this was a good idea? I clearly wasn't over him, and my sudden and confusing feelings towards Dom weren't making it any easier. "You're better than this. You called him here to smooth things over. Your parents are still in that pack." I thought I was going crazy until I realised that it was my wolf speaking back to me.

"What if I can't handle it?" I asked her out loud, worry seeping through my bones. "You can, we can. I'm always here but you ALWAYS seem to forget that." She was right. I knew better than to lose my head over a guy that didn't want me and a guy that clearly wasn't interested. Dom liked playing games, I knew that. There was nothing more to it. "Now go out there and ask about the important things. There's a reason Dom needed you here, you're stronger than you feel right now." I pushed myself away from the mirror and towards the door. She was right, I was better than this. I'd spent most of my adult life avoiding men anyway. This should be a piece of cake.

I walked through the office and shut the door behind me, Logan and Dom were talking intently over the desk and I could only just make out the last part of their conversation, but I knew it was about me. "I'm fine, thanks for asking. But we aren't here to talk about that." They both looked at me stunned, Dom had a small smirk on his face. "The lady is right, let's stop out gossiping..." Wait? Gossiping? I wanted to be part of that. "What's the gossip?" I asked them. All of a sudden the room was filled with laughter as both men started howling at my reaction.

"Oh my goddess, you're worse than women!" I shouted, slumping down on the cosy chair instead of taking the seat next to Logan at the desk. Dom looked over at me approvingly, it made me blush. Logan noticed the exchange and he stiffened slightly. "Why am I here?" Logan asked looking around, Dom motioned towards me, "Emily called this meeting, would you like to tell us why?" I curled in on myself, my thoughts had changed so much since I spoke to Elena that I felt incredibly stupid all of a sudden.

I couldn't tell him that I wanted to see him, I couldn't tell him that I missed him and I certainly couldn't tell him that I thought of him all the time. I choose to tell him the only other thing I could think of, "I want to make amends with Whitt, for the sake of the pack and for the sake of this pack." The both looked at me like I'd kicked a puppy, Dom's pen actually dropped out of his hand dramatically. "Amends?" He questioned me, "really?" I nodded and up until that moment I hadn't realised how true it was. Seeing the alphas laughing together made me miss my friendships too.

"I want to try at least. She was my best friend." Logan looked away guiltily, his voice sounded full of emotion as he said, "I really think she'd appreciate that." He looked up at me, "I would too." I gritted my teeth and smiled at him, it was still painful, part of it always would be... but it was about time we all tried to move forward. My wolf was right. I was better than this, I'd figured out clues, taken trips to the dream realm and saved my parents. I could do this too.

Dom looked up at me from his desk, his eyes glued to mine and I felt a tingling run all the way through my body. I didn't know what the feeling was, but the way he was looking at me, the way he bit his lip... It felt good, seeing his approval felt good and I wanted more of it. Logan left shortly after, he said he would speak to Whitt and see what we could come up with. I was nervous, but when was I not these days? Dom's hand ran up and down my back as we watched him leave, I leaned into his comforting touch. He didn't pull away.

"You did a really brave thing today, little varg" I looked up at him, "I did?" He smiled down at me, his eyes shining. "You did and I think a lot of people are going to benefit from it." His words warmed my heart, I just hoped that when the time came, I could keep to my word and my end of the arrangement. My wolf purred as his hand made circling motions at the bottom of my back. He leaned towards me, his lips touching my ear and he whispered, "and just for that, I'll do something special for you when you fall asleep tonight."