Chapter Fifty Eight

Logan

There were pages upon pages of documentation under the paintings, I'd asked what they were for and Yarah had told me it was a safe space for the witches and for the pack alike. The room underneath the pack house had been spelled, it was far enough away from the house itself that magic would still work there without the witches feeling weak or going crazy. It was smart I'd give them that. But there was still one thing I really wanted to know.

"What exactly was your relationship with my father?" I opened the question, Yarah smiled shyly. Okay, that was weird. "Myself and Alpha Choal had an interesting relationship. I was his confidante of sorts. We spent many nights down here researching and planning. He got on with everyone." The research definitely sounded like my father, but he didn't get on with everyone, it was his whole image. "He was a great friend," she looked at me while she was speaking now, "he spoke fondly of you and often you know?"

No, I didn't know that, that didn't sound anything like my father. I picked up one of the notebooks from the stack, "I'm starting to realise that there's a lot I didn't know about him." I flipped open the book and fingered through the pages. On every single page was a different drawing of a necklace. "What's this?" I asked Yarah, angling the book so that she could see. "That's the moon goddess's amulet, it allows some of her power to be transferred to whoever is in possession of it."

That didn't sound very safe, "what if it gets into the wrong hands?" Yarah's face grew cold, "it already is." I closed the book and threw it onto the pile of made next to me, "what exactly is your problem with the moon goddess? I don't understand any of this." She walked over to a stone seat and huffed down onto it. "There's meant to be a balance in the world, there's always been balance. As Nordic witches we strive to create and maintain that balance."

She looked to see if I was following before she continued, "the moon goddess and the sun god created a universal balance. No one is entirely sure of what their relationship ever was, but they were close. Some time a few centuries ago, the sun god went missing. No one knows why, no one knows where, but the sun god and the moon goddess had an agreement that he would give her his light while he was healing from the exhaustion and in return she would remain in his realm when he was gone and look after his people."

She could see that I still wasn't getting it. "We know him by his Nordic name in the Scandinavian countries, that name is Kresnik. His leaving was never the problem, it was her jealousy and her upset that ruined the balance of things. She didn't want to have to look after the planet if he wasn't on it too and she couldn't find him among the stars either. " My brain hurt already. "She's been trying to find him ever since, it's said that his abilities still remain on his favourite planet, Earth. She's here to find him, but Logan... if she does it's the end of your species as we know it."

"Why though? What does she gain from destroying everything?" Yarah looked sad as she spoke just one singular word.

"Revenge."

"Revenge for what? What did we ever do?" She got up from her seat and walked towards where the wall had closed, "not revenge to the wolves, revenge to the sun god. The wolves are her creation, to subside her loneliness. She's been looking for him and when she finds him, if he accepts her again, there's no hope for any of us."

Well this was a huge amount of information to take in. "It's all inside these books, and now you know where to find them. We just need to find Jessie Elio to train her up." She finished. The walls started to shake, the brick crumbling down the wall. In a flash of light, the wall was ripped apart and standing in the gap was the last person I expected to see. "Jessie Elio wants to know why you need her help."

Whitt was standing in the middle of the crumbled mess, two witches at her side. She looked fierce, she looks incredible, and all too late I relished what had just happened. "Whitt, NO!" I shouted. With a blast of her blue electrical current, Yarah went flying across the room. "Whitt! We need her." Her eyes were glowing iridescent, "why do we need her? It seems to me like they are the ones that need me." She turned to Yarah who was just getting up, "I don't like to be spoken about behind my back and I don't like that you're in my pack house."

Yarah was up and smiling at Whitt, her grin terrifying. "So we finally meet Jessie." Whitt sent her a sarcastic smile back. Yarah wasn't finished, "like it or not, you're the only one that can stop this thing and you'll be coming with me. If you refuse to train with us, I'll just siphon your magic to use as I need to." Hold up. This was getting way out of hand.

"Woah woah woah," I held out my hands in between them, "no one is siphoning my mate's magic." Yarah's head snapped to me, her mouth hanging open, "mate?" I nodded, "and if you want either of us to help you're going to need to compromise. Namely the use or kidnap of my mate without her permission."

Wait...

"Whitt, how did you find me? How did you know I was down here?" She actually looked at me like I was stupid, "Storm has a tracking device in him, you asked for it specifically?" I felt pretty stupid right now. Why had I not even considered the fact that my pack loved this dog far more than they would ever love their Alpha. I wasn't complaining, it had worked in my favour this time.

Yarah rubbed at her back and walked towards Whitt, the women next to Whitt tensed up instantly. "Can we start over? I'm Yarah, head witch of the Nordic clan." She held out her hand but Whitt didn't take it. "I'm Whitt Temporary Alpha of the Rising Dawn pack and I'll zap you into next week if you touch my mate again." Then the strangest thing started to happen, they both started to smile at each other. SMILE.

Of one thing I was absolutely certain about this situation, women were confusing and scary.