C H A P T E R 8

Ceaseless Chains Copyright © 2020 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved.

Chapter posted - August 21, 2020

Thank you to everyone who read Endless Bonds's conclusion last week! I can't believe the story came to an end but here we are! I read all your sweet comments and will be spending the time this weekend to answer you. ily <3

Playlist Song: Jhene Aiko - Born Tired (everyone needs to hear this song)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

C H A P T E R  8

Teagan

The building was saturated with a pungent smell, a vivid mixture of BO, garbage, and food. Cher and I descended the staircase as quickly as possible, before gulping large mouthfuls of clean air when we burst through the entrance doors.

"Teagan, no way in hell." Cher gathered her bronze strands in her fingers to form a ponytail. She was still mildly gagging. "That place is not it."

We padded further down the dingy parking lot, where my BMW – the only thing my parents' had allowed me to take when leaving – was safely tucked in a corner spot. I still had my sleeve covering my mouth and nose.

Apartment hunting was a bitch. We'd just had another one shown to us five minutes ago. After holding our breaths and smiling wide and saying we'd be in touch, the verdict was clear: fucking negative.

I unlocked the car and we both got in. "You're right."

Cher chuckled. "'Course, I am. Admit it, babe. The last six places have sucked."

I tucked my left-hand knuckles against my mouth. "I know. This is bad."

I felt hopeless. Everything I could seemingly afford wasn't working out. Even those places with a far distance from work or a cheap, sketchy neighborhood. I was running out of options.

"You know, there is still one more place to check out."

I turned the car on, and Jhené's sweet voice blared through the speakers. "Where?"

"Oliver's condo."

I closed my eyes, having tried avoiding thinking of that option. "Cher."

"Tee," she groaned. "Think about it. His place is at a prime location and you know him, so it wouldn't be awkward."

But it would be awkward because it's Oliver and I. Our last few encounters had left me wondering where we stood. Friends? Acquaintances? I didn't really know.