epilogue

look at our sweet pretty boy I'm-- 

Marilyn's face catches my attention from the back of the crowd. she's beaming at me and I excuse myself from the reporter I'm talking to.

"Marilyn! how are you?" I gesture for her to come forward, and several people grumble as she elbows her way to me.

"I'm great, sweetheart." she pulls me into a hug. "you look so beautiful!" 

"you look amazing, too. thanks for coming tonight." 

"and miss your first gallery opening? please." she waves it off. I wish I could talk more, but a photographer makes me pose for a photo. I grin at the camera in front of my favorite piece from the collection. 

the kid taking my picture, college-age, asks for more angles and I give Marilyn an apologetic smile. she doesn't look at all bothered, though. I let him snap a few more shots and make an excuse to get out of there so I can find her again. she starts asking me about my work and I try to focus on her completely, but my eyes keep searching the crowd. I don't know why; if they were here, they wouldn't just meander around. they'd surround me immediately.

"where is Matthew?" she asks, noticing my distracted behavior. 

"I have no idea. he said he'd be here." I glance at my phone: 6:33. he's only a few minutes late, but I had really hoped he'd be here for the grand opening. 

Marilyn goes to walk around and look at the other art while I talk to gallery-goers and the occasional reporter. it's overwhelming, frankly, but I also feel a bright glow in my stomach. my schedule is packed and I would be lying if I said I'm not a little overworked. it's a great feeling, though. and I really, really need to talk to Matthew. hell, I just need to see him.

almost like an answer to my prayers, the quick-footed stomp of feet makes my heart leap into my throat.

"Mama!" Luna elbows her way through the crowd of elegantly-dressed guests to run up to me. I reach down and lift her up.

"my little star! I missed you!" I pepper her angelic face with kisses, which makes her giggle and squirm away. when I glance up, Matthew is walking toward me with his usual poor posture. I expect him to give me a lazy smile, but instead he breaks into an ear-splitting grin and lifts me off the ground in a hug. as he spins me around, photographers snap pictures of us.

"glad you could finally join us." I whisper into his ear with a playful smile. 

"you look stunning." he sets me down and Luna immediately latches herself to his leg. 

"I'm sorry we're late. this one," he reaches down and ruffles the messy curls that so resemble his own. "is a little diva."

"bubba, were you being difficult again?" I crouch and tug on a lock of her hair. she wrinkles her nose and shakes her head. 

"oh, really?" Matthew's eyebrows raise as he tries to suppress his smile. it's not working. 

"and I see your father let you dress yourself, tonight?" I grin as I run my hand over the soft yellow skirt of her Princess Belle Halloween costume from this year. 

"mhmm!" she nods with a great deal of pride. I look up at the love of my life, but he's already watching me.

"she was just so excited to show everyone." he explains. I laugh. he's such a sucker for Luna, all she has to do is ask. I doubt he put up much of a fight. 

"and she looks beautiful." I smile and straighten up. I open my mouth to tell Matthew that his mom is here, but it turns out that I don't need to do that. it's like she can sense his presence.