Chapter 45: Ominous Signs

I groaned as I slowly tried to open my eyes. Sunlight pierced my eyeballs and I closed them again, shielding against the harsh light.

I was leaned up against a tree and someone was in front of me, his hands on either side of my face. I didn't need to open my eyes to know it was- Talon. My tattoo tingled and I could feel our blood-bond, an invisible link joining us.

"Can you hear me, Leina?" Talon asked, his voice urgent.

"What happened?" I said, finally opening my eyes and letting them rest on the man in front of me. Talon looked spooked.

"You started screaming- I pulled you out of your circle, breaking the connection of the spell." Talon said, his eyes worried. He pulled me out of the circle?

It all came flashing back before my eyes. Morgan.

Morgan had been the one who kidnapped Aliénor. She had killed her.

I lurched forward in an attempt to grab Talon by the shoulder but cried out, stopping mid-way. My left shoulder stung and cried out angrily when I moved my arm. It felt wet under my denim jacket.

I carefully took off my jacket and winced as I pulled the denim away from the wound. There was a deep slash in my shoulder. Exactly where Morgan had cut me. Aliénor. Us.

"Ow," I exclaimed and turned to Talon to explain when I clocked his immediate shift. He was frozen, tense and eyes locked onto my shoulder where blood was starting to drip.

"Talon?" I whispered, a bad feeling settling in my stomach. He didn't respond. He let go of the breath he had been holding and breathed in.

I knew when the scent of my blood hit him because he inhaled sharply, his eyes turning their jet black. Not good. I thought, heart hammering. He should be fine, he had blood this morning which I'd thought would tide him over until tomorrow at the very least.

Who was I kidding? I knew nothing about a vampire's feeding habits or how Talon's blood-rage affected his!

"Talon?" I said again, this time louder, trying to snap him out of the trance that seemed to be holding him. I clutched my wounded shoulder, the wound wasn't gushing blood so I wasn't in danger of bleeding out, that was the least of my worries right now.

I slowly got to my feet, watching Talon who mirrored me, his eyes never leaving my shoulder.

"Talon. You have to snap out of it. If this is your blood sickness then we'll get through this..." I said coaxingly. Finally his eyes broke away from the blood and met my gaze. I sighed in relief. But what I saw chilled me to the bone.

There was no recognition in his eyes. His black eyes stared at me, like a bottomless pit.

I reached out with my left arm, ignoring the tugging pain in my shoulder, to place my hand on his chest. His eyes watched my movement like a hawk. My heart was thumping in my ears as this disconcertingly reminded me of the dream I'd had last night.

"Talon. It's me, Leina." I spoke softly, trying to reach the man I loved.

"I love you." I said, hoping this would stir some emotions in him, breaking him out of the blood-reverie. Something flashed in his eyes and he, lighting fast, grabbed my hand that was holding my shoulder and yanked it away, pinning me against the tree, my wrists beside my head.

I gasped in surprise but had no time to react. His mouth was on mine then, hot and passionate. My body responded immediately, kissing him back despite my mind shouting out in protest and alarm.