Chapter 48: Shake Things Up

The shock in Elias' face made me want to laugh out loud and do it all over again. He stood there, staring at me as if trying to work out if I was serious or delusional or both.

Take that!

Adrenaline was running through my veins now; I finally had a way to help Talon.

Elias quickly recovered and grunted in response, fixing his expensive suit.

"When are we doing this?" I prompted him when he didn't launch into the specifics of this plan.

"Soon." He said, not offering a specific day or time. "Don't mention this to Talon. I need to make sure some things are in order first." He said evasively.

I nodded, not seeing any other option. Elias gave me one final look, one that was not filled with the usual hatred, and left the room.

At least there's progress on that front?

Ok but what did I just agree to? My mind shouted as I made my way back up to Talon's room.

I didn't completely trust Elias, but I knew he had his son's best interests at heart. We both wanted to help Talon. I was placing my life in their hands but what was new? What wouldn't you do for the ones you love?

Talon was still dead to the world when I returned. I slid into bed next to him as quietly as I could. He didn't stir and was completely unaware of the plan now in motion.

He's going to be pissed when he finds out, a voice at the back of my head sung. I pushed it away and snuggled against Talon.

At last, after a full-on day, my exhausted body found sleep.

*

The next morning after breakfast, Talon and I returned to the library. Zara had said she would look through the Royal records to see if there was any mention of the prophecy and we said we'd continue to search in the library.

Talon had been awfully quiet all morning and had given only mild remarks, his usual teasing and cockiness absent. He was clearly lost in his thoughts, though whether it was about Severus and Morgan, the prophecy, or his blood rage, I wasn't sure.

By lunch time I was utterly convinced there was nothing else that would help us in the library. I had even pulled out my phone and searched the prophecy on the internet. As expected, the obscure prophecy didn't have any hits.

Talon was on the opposite side of the vast library again. Desperately needing a distraction, I cast a cloaking spell and made my way over to him.

Talon was leant over a large folio, his brow furrowed in concentration. I snuck up behind him and got within five feet before he suddenly had me pinned to the nearby bookshelf. I gasped in surprise, the spell dropping.

Talon was smirking, his hands pinning my wrists beside my head and his face inches away.

"Boo?" I mumbled, laughing.

"Haven't you learnt sweetheart? You can't sneak up on me." He said, smirking more and releasing my wrists.

"Just trying to keep you on your toes." I shrugged, matching his smirk.

"You find anything?" I asked, peeking over his shoulder at the large folio he had been reading.

"No, nothing." Talon sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"I don't think we're going to find anything else useful here." I commented and Talon nodded, looking frustrated.

I grabbed his hips then pulling him against me, my lips meeting his.