Chapter 54: Interrogation

When I awoke, I couldn't move.

I opened my eyes groggily to take in my surroundings. I realised with a jolt I had been tied to a chair. Rope was bound tightly around my wrists and ankles, securing me to the chair.

My shirt, having been ripped last night, half covered me but my shoulder and back were exposed. I was in a dark, cold, damp smelling room with no windows and a medieval looking door. It rivaled some of the dungeons I'd seen in films.

There was no way to tell what time it was. How did I get here? My dazed mind wondered.

Everything flashed before my eyes. Coming back to Woodcreek. The coven meeting, the council showing up. Being surrounded, surrendering and finally the witch casting a spell to render me unconscious. Probably for easy transport, I thought sarcastically.

What would Talon be thinking? He would have known something was wrong when I didn't show up after the coven meeting. Would he have gone to talk to Ava? I pictured Talon and Alistair showing up at Ava's in broad daylight with the whole coven present and shuddered.

What was my coven thinking? Did they want to kick me out? They would have a good reason, I did lie to them for months. But only because I knew they'd freak out. Goddess, my head hurt.

I groaned, testing the ropes. Yep, they were tight alright.

"Good, you're awake." A voice said, making me jump.

A figure walked out from the shadows of the corner of the room. It was the council member who had cast the sleeping spell on me. I hadn't taken much notice of him then but now I was given the chance.

He looked to be in his late thirties, wore an old fashioned tweed suit and had dark brown hair that was combed over, styled perfectly. He looked like he could have walked straight out of the 1950's, he was just missing the fedora. He looked relieved that I was awake.

"First things first." He said, approaching me. What he pulled out from his suit jacket made me try my luck against the ropes again. He was holding a syringe.

"You're the state representative." I said then, realisation hitting me. "Luke...Luke Nash?" I asked, momentarily distracted upon placing his face. Ava had shown me a photo of him months ago when I was studying for my initiation. She said it was a good idea to familiarise yourself with the witch who represented your state on the High Council. I didn't know how much good it did me now though.

The man, Luke, met my eyes, nodding slightly in affirmation. His eyes were a golden brown and they looked apologetic.

"I'm sorry. Hold still, I'll make it quick." he said, looking like he was not happy about having to do this. I didn't have time to respond or act, he was quick: he stabbed the needle into my shoulder, pushing the contents into my bloodstream.

The effect was imminent. I gasped in pain, as a burning ran through my veins, spreading through my body. The world spun then, and my head felt heavy.

"What is that?" I mumbled, willing the room to stop spinning. What drug did he just inject me with?

"St. John's Wort." he answered as he wrapped the needle in a handkerchief.

Great. I thought sarcastically. I hadn't come into contact with it until now, but I remembered from Charlie's herbal lessons that St. John's Wort was poisonous to witches. It could be used for a number of nefarious means against us. It was the equivalent of Pandorea for vampires.

The room continued to spin and I forced my eyes shut, fearing I might throw up.

"It blocks your magic." Luke said quietly, as he checked the ropes. As he said this I noted the sudden dry feeling in my body. As a witch, I felt connected to my magic and since my elemental powers had awakened, I had begun to feel the element's presence everywhere I went, like they were reminding me they were there to help if needed.