[13] tacenda

The lights were flickering on and off as I carried Marie in my arms; navigating the hallways had become more treacherous with abandoned trolleys and wheelchairs littered outside the rooms

The lights were flickering on and off as I carried Marie in my arms; navigating the hallways had become more treacherous with abandoned trolleys and wheelchairs littered outside the rooms. I kept a tight grip on the fabric of her long-sleeved t-shirt, finding my way to a staircase located at the end of the hallway. I couldn't help but thank whoever was watching over me that each door I encountered decided to unlock for me.

She let out pained winces every few steps, each passing landing making my heart pound a little harder until my feet hit the bottom floor. I couldn't spend a minute longer in this building, opting to force my shoulder into the fire exit door hidden underneath the concrete staircase. The pain pulses through my muscles as I strain against the metal frame, which barely gives way against my attempts.

Fresh air. I didn't realise how much I could miss good, clean, fresh air. The thought comes to mind as I reach the pathway that leads to the east parking lot. I couldn't comprehend how dank and suffocating the hospital really was. The putrid smell that had become dulled to my senses was being replaced by a mix of car oil and pine from the row of trees just behind the chain link fence metres away. This complete change found a way to horrify me further; how could a hospital operate under such bleak conditions?

The black SUV had already parked outside of the hospital, Franklin rushing towards me in a fleet of panic. His hand was firmly grasping the handgun he had strapped to his hip as he ran, prepared for anything and ready to protect himself and us.

I wasn't able to stop myself from recognising the look of pity he gave me as his arms wrapped around to take her weight from me. It was a silent message; I'm sorry you got wrapped up in this. There was not a shred of blame in his body movements despite the responsibility of keeping her safe landing on me.

I was only there to make sure she was safe, and I failed. Why wasn't he angry?

"I'll take her with me. Cassiel is in the back of the car," He barely manages to direct me, his head darting to look at the SUV before turning back to me, "You'll need to drive the Ford back to the base yourself, you can handle that, right?" I barely managed to nod. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to drive, but I didn't feel able to ignore his request.

As a team, they had the ability to reach into my life and change it as they pleased; which only made me feel like I was in a constant state of peril. How could I go against any of their requests? That was all I could think of as I walked to the car Marie and I had travelled here in, traversing through a swarm of people who had recently evacuated the hospital.

I had to turn on the radio. The silence was a glaring reminder of the scene I had just left. I hadn't noticed the bloodstains on the thighs of my jeans, perfect caricature bloodstains. The music on the radio station blared in the car, a tsunami of sound waves that were likely to cause a headache when I finally exited the car. But for now, they were my companion; an uplifting, giddy companion that stole all thought.