[28] cease

The unmistakable ache of fatigue gathered in my muscles as I ran back to the SATe base; somewhat regretting the decision to walk into town when I'd rushed off to meet Chloe

The unmistakable ache of fatigue gathered in my muscles as I ran back to the SATe base; somewhat regretting the decision to walk into town when I'd rushed off to meet Chloe. The morning had been bathed in woven strands of sunlight so I couldn't help but think a paced walk under the early morning sun would give way to soft thoughts and prepared interactions. Now that I had unparalleled devotion to transporting the antidote that Victoria had kindly provided me with, that decision was unreliable at best.

I wish my high school P.E. teacher could see me now; following a gruelling pace and basking in the warm humidity of the afternoon. Every inch of my clothing was sticking to the skin underneath and refusing to budge; my hair had become slick with perspiration, and the curls of my fringe determined to meld to my eyelashes as beads of sweat rolled down my face.

My lungs were on the verge of bursting as I pushed in the key code to the base, hands pressed against my legs as I inhaled a few breaths, and the doorway opened. My heart throbbed against the inside of my chest as I caught the attention of Alexandria in the lobby, fighting through rasped breath to explain my appearance but the words failed to emerge.

She'd grabbed an unopened water bottle from the desk outside the conference room and walked over to me in wide stretches as she unscrewed the cap. My body washed cold as the chill of the bottle reached my fingertips as she passed it over. My bleary eyes focused on the clear liquid as I swallowed half the bottle in one go. Alexandria had rifled through the back of her jeans and pulled out a small purple pack of tissues, taking a few of the top layers and handing them to me. I offer my best gratuitous smile and begin to walk down the hallway that leads to the infirmary and lab.

Alexandria had looped her arm through mine after a few seconds, having watched me sway as I walked. I'd have to find the time to visit the training room in the SATe building; if I could wheedle the location out of Perry; it may have been a multitude of miles, but the result of the journey was unbearably troublesome. She didn't say a word as we walked; there wasn't even a silent protest when I began to rest the majority of my body weight against her frame.

The lab sounded busy even from the hallway, voices filtering through the gap under the door. Alexandria had punched in the code to the laboratory and lightly nudged me inside, allowing me to slide down the wall next to the doorway as my legs began to buckle. I was unable to help the pained grin spreading over my face as my head pushed into the wall. The cold metal surface that coated it was cool to the touch, sending shivers down my spine as my body debated between cooling down and staying warm.

Alexandria offered a smile and a half-hearted salute before evading the small group in the room by almost literally running away back to the lobby. Anne and Cassiel were analysing beakers of different liquids, their faces pale and eyes drooping. I wonder if she'd finally given in to his desire to help the situation. I wonder if she'd genuinely be thankful if someone else had done the work for her.

The difference between the two was subtle; Cassiel had raised his head and looked at me like I was the only person he'd care to look at. He'd put down the beaker in his hands and discarded the blue gloves covering them in a disposal bin on the way to me. As he moved closer to me, looking me in the eyes deeply, I realised my breathing had become softer, my brooding look fading away into a smile.