The Motivation for a Rose

Taking time to decorate yesterday was a good idea. The reason being that Eygon is a very heavy sleeper, and I had to go over to team RWBY's dorm to borrow Ruby's whistle, which she handed over with a blush, saying that she had used it already.

I told her I didn't mind. Who would, after all.

Ruby was such an adorable girl. Even as a girl who is confident when it came to speaking with other girls, she still had a way of bringing me a blush and a smile, seemingly on accident.

After returning Ruby's whistle and everyone getting dressed, we all made our way to class, leaving our weapons and combat clothes in the locker rooms.

Professor Port was ungodly boring. So I occupied my time with reading the textbook for his class instead. It seemed to be a better use of my time.

For a class about Grimm, he sure doesn't teach much about Grimm. More so telling tall tales about his youth.

I turned my attention back to the class when I heard Weiss volunteer to fight a Grimm.

She did so sloppily, even yelling at her leader when she tried to offer advice.

Weiss stormed out of the classroom, mumbling angrily all the while.

I decided I needed to follow them, it seemed like something would happen if I didn't.

I hid behind a wall, listening to their conversation.

Ruby: Weiss!

Weiss: What?!

Ruby: What's wrong with you? Why are you being-?

Weiss: What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?! You're supposed to be a leader, and all you've been so far is a nuisance!

Ruby: What did I do?

Weiss: That's just it! You've done nothing to earn your position! Back in the forest, you acted like a child, and you've only continued to do so!

Ruby: Weiss, where is this coming from? What happened to all the talk about working together? I thought you believed in acting as a team.

Weiss: Not a team led by you. I've studied and trained. And quite frankly, I deserve better.

Weiss paused for a second.

Weiss: Ozpin made a mistake.

I walked out from behind the wall, making enough noise for Ruby to hear and turn around, hugging me with tears brimming in her eyes. She really let Weiss get to her. I squeezed her tighter and rubbed her back, doing what my mother used to do when I would get sad when I was younger.

Ruby: Y/n... Did Ozpin make a mistake?

Me: Ruby, why don't you and I take a walk?

She wiped the tears and nodded, her smile returning to her face.

We took a walk down the halls, while I was trying to find something to say to her.

Me: Ruby. When I was young, my mother always told me that the world wasn't going to be nice to me for much longer. I didn't believe her, I had this idea in my head that people were constantly nice to each other and everyone lived in harmony.

Ruby and I found a bench outside and sat, while she let me finish what I was trying to say.

Me: That idea was shattered when I was out with my Mom one day, spending time with her in the city, and we saw a Faunus woman being harassed by a few humans. After My mom did her duties as a Huntress, I looked at her and I asked, "Mom, why did those people hurt her?" She looked me in the eyes and said something that has stuck with me to this day.

Ruby was listening intently, leaning toward me as if she would miss some of my story if she didn't.

Me: "Y/n, the world isn't just sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean, and nasty place. And no matter how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. No Grimm or thug will be able to hit as hard as life. But it's never about how hard you can hit back, it's about how hard you can get hit, and be willing to move forward. You have to realize that you will never be able to completely destroy evil, and there will be some times where you see things that you won't be able to do anything about entirely." I remember she leaned down to my level and said this. "I don't care how good you are, and I don't care how talented you are, there are going to be times when things just aren't going to go right."

Ruby: What are you trying to say?

Me: Ruby. What I'm saying is, there are going to be some times when things aren't going to go the way you want them to. You expected that all of your teammates would be completely willing to listen to you and accept you as a leader. But it didn't go that way, right? Sometimes, you just have to accept that things need to go wrong before they can go right. My Mom used to say that Ozpin has made more mistakes than anyone else in the world, so I doubt that your appointment to leader was one of them.

She smiled and hugged me once more.

Ruby: That was a little off-topic, but I get what you're saying! Thanks, Y/n!

She squeezed me one more time and ran off back to her dorm. As she ran off, I couldn't help but smile.

Me: I'm glad she got something out of that because I was just saying random shit.

I walked back to my room and walked past RWBY's dorm as Weiss was exiting.

Weiss: Ruby? I always wanted bunk beds as a kid.

I stood there smiling smugly. She looked at me with shock, before smiling and rolling her eyes.

Weiss: Oh shush!

She then walked past me and went about her business, and I did mine.