T W E N T Y - T W O

🐞 🐱

"Marinette isn't here anymore, Kitty."

The words echoed in Chats mind, over and over again.

Why did she akumatize herself?

He had to believe that she knew what she was doing and that she had some sort of plan.

Who was he kidding?

Of course she had a plan. She's Ladybug.

He knew her. Even when she was in so much pain he still knew her, and he was willing to bet his life that if anyone was going to make everything better and save the world, it would be her.

Marinette.

She was still in there.

She had to be.

"Look, I know you're hurting so bad inside, but please tell me you know what you're doing." He said, softly and calmly.

"Of course I do." She replied with anger and bitterness in her tone. She gave Chat one last once over before she disappeared- in more ways than one.

Chat froze, panic coursing through his body. He needed to figure out what in the world he was going to do next.

He looked at Chloe who was still standing there with a look of confusion and fright on her face.

"Go home." He said to her. "And tell no one of what you saw today."

Chloe gulped, but then slowly nodded. "You have my word Chat Noir. I promise."

He watched the blonde haired girl retreat from the scene. Chat then glanced down at Alya and choked down a sob.

He couldn't just leave her there.

But where could he put her?

There was no place that came to mind that was safe enough or private enough that came to mind.

What would Marinette do?

He had an idea.

***

Chat closed the door over Marinette's room- the one that led to her balcony and sighed.

He stood there for a minute, contemplating whether for not it was the right idea to leave her there on Mari's bed. He thought that with her parent's thinking that their daughter is safely at school and having a busy bakery to run, that they wouldn't have the need to go into Marinette's bedroom.

Hopefully.

But now there was another problem to solve, this one literally being a matter of life and death.

Chat couldn't help but have that one scary thought- that Mari would cross the line when she goes after Hawkmoth and does something that she'll never be able to come back from- that she might become a murderer.

But how could he find her?

Her idea of getting akumatized was smart, dangerous yes, but smart nonetheless, but there was no way that Chat could have that opportunity and he didn't want to risk not being able to control himself.

There was only one option left.

He called her.

He knew that even if she was akumatized, ladybug would always have her yoyo with her.

The phone rang once.

Twice.

"Kitty."

Chat left out a breath he didn't even realise he was holding.

"Princess..." He spoke softly. "Tell me where you are."

"I found him, Kitty."

He blinked. She found him? "What?"

"I know who Hawkmoth is."

"Where are you, Princess? I'm coming to help you."

"I don't think that's a good idea. Just trust me, Kitty. You need to stay out of this one."

"What are you talking about? It's been me and you since day one against Hawkmoth and you're telling me not to get involved?"

"Chat."

"Marinette."

He heard her sigh. He could tell she was thinking it over. He hadn't a clue why she wouldn't want him there, but he didn't care. He needed to be there after everything that's happened. After every single akuma fought and defeated.

"This is my fight too."

"Come to your attic."

"My attic? At my house? I didn't even know we had one of those. But how did you guys end up there?"

"You'll see Kitty."

Marinette ended the call leaving Chat Noir more confused than ever, but at least he knew what he had to do now.

He was going home.

***

"Marinette isn't here anymore Kitty."

She saw the pain in his eyes as soon as the words left her mouth. She hated that this was the approach she had to take, but soon it would all be over.

Today was the day that he would be taken down and his reign of terror would be over.

"Look, I know you're hurting so bad inside, but please tell me you know what you're doing."

She'd never seen him like this before. He looked scared. All she wanted to do was run into his arms and cry. Scream. She wanted to hold him so tight and let him tell her that everything was going to be okay.

But she couldn't.

Hawkmoth needed to be stopped.

"Of course I do." She didn't mean it to come out the way it did. But she was angry and furiously devastated.

She looked at him once more, taking in all his features. His Holden messy hair and pure green eyes. She looked at him as if it was the last time she'd ever see him again.

Because there was a possibility that it might be.

She forced herself to tear her eyes off of him, then she left.

She swung her yoyo as fast as she could before Adrien could change her mind, because if anyone could stop her right now it'd be him, and she didn't want that.

She landed on a rooftop a few blocks away from the Eiffel Tower, and she spoke.

"I know you can hear me."

🐞 🐈