Prologue: Nothing of Value

} Colorado, USA

Royal sighed to himself, sitting sullenly at a lunch table where everyone was ignoring him, engrossed in a heated conversation about some amine or something. He put his head in his hand as he scrolled through his phone, aimlessly looking at videos that he had already watched time and again. There was nothing new. Nothing fun or exciting. He really wished he had something more to do, to say, to be. But no, not a word, not a glimmer. For all intents and purposes, he was nothing here.

Royal drifted through the rest of the day. Science teacher gave him some homework, big woop. At least he had something to focus his efforts on now...

He went to dinner. Cup o' noodles for the 15th night in a row. Truly dull and boring, as much as it gets really. As he picked at his food, he thought with all his hopes and desires for something, anything to change. That was the mentality he went to bed with.

For better or for worse, that would not be the mentality he would wake with...

} Umberwood, Venthyr

Esther was quietly making her way about the dark, spooky woods. She chanted a simple spell to give her some fire to watch the path. Night was falling fast, she had to get what she came for. The forest was cruel and harsh at night. But she couldn't wait any longer. She had to get the fruits she sought today, or else...

She shuddered, thinking of what the Slavemaster would do if she failed again.

Rustling through the brush, she came upon what she needed. Those wonderful, blue, pear shaped fruits sought after my mage and smith alike, the wonderful Manafruits. She hastily gathered up a basketful, not careful to make sure they were secure.

Racing back "home", Esther made it to the place she slept. The Slavemaster himself stood outside of it, looking livid.

"What took you so long, rat?" He spat.

"Sorry sir..." Esther said sullenly. "I found them though, may I eat today?"

The Slavemaster looked at Esther's basket. "You spent that long out there..." He growled, voice growing louder and angrier, "For THIS!?"

In Esther's basket, only 6 fruits remained out of the 50 she had picked. She grew paler than her nearly white skin already was, realizing too late.

In a sick twist of mercy, the Slavemaster lowered his tone.

"You may lick the serving spoons clean. After all, you get back what you bring me..." He smiled, sickly sweet.

Esther cowered, knowing how Cole those spoons were. Nobody ever washed them... But it was her first meal in three days...

"Yes sir... Thank you sir..." She said, equally saddened and elated.

She went to bed that night with an upset, albeit somewhat filled belly, and tear filled eyes. And when she awoke next morning, she felt bolder than she ever had before... She was going to run away from this horrible man at long last. No more working all day for nothing. No more being beaten for seemingly no reason. So when she was given her task of gathering fruits again, she bolted as soon as she entered the treeline. It was suicide, maybe. She barely knew what she was doing. But she had taught herself magic while her fellow slaves were asleep. She wasn't totally defenseless...

Still, it would take a miracle for her to make it out safely. The Slavemaster would send for her eventually, after all. He hated losing his "precious merchandise."

Little did she know she would meet someone very special, very soon.